1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week old silkie... crowing!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MESOFRUFFEH, Dec 2, 2015.

1. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    I have asked about the gender of my silkies several times as they have grown, mainly because some of them have really large red combs, and I keep being met with the answer that it is too early to tell lol. This morning, I thought I heard something weird outside, so I went out and low and behold... one of my silkie roos was crowing!! They are only 7 weeks old!! I was not able to get a super good video of it, but still... IT'S SUCH A CUTE LITTLE CROW!!

There are two other little silkies with large combs like this guy, but they have yet to crow. What is the earliest you have had one crow?? I read someone had one crowing at 4.5 weeks, that is so crazy!

[​IMG]

2. Justso

Justso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    Get out! That is too funny.

That roo has some pretty heavy duty testosterone.

3. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    I kept hearing it from far away and I was like what the heck sounds like a turkey?! Today he actually did it right as I was getting them out for the day. I guess he is trying to one up my only other rooster that Crows. His little crow is just so adorable!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, those first crows are funny......then you go 'Darnnit'!

5. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    I will definitely be saying darnit here in a few months when the 10 other roosters we have start crowing!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by