7 week old silkie, fine one minute..down the next HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leadwolf1, Jun 7, 2011.

1. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me some help. I have a 7 week old silkie that was out in the run with my other chicks...they are all between 5 - 7 weeks old. She was fine and running around with the others, sunbathing, eating and drinking normally. This was their first day in their new run. I went inside to get a drink, was gone for less than 15 minutes. When I went back outside, she was limping pretty badly on her left leg. I have checked her all over for injuries and can find nothing out of the ordinary. I've searched for broken bones, swelling, hot spots,etc. Before I put the chicks out, I checked everywhere for anything that might harm them. I found nothing.

Her crop is nonexistent and I haven't seen her eat or drink today. I did dip her beak in and she drank that drop. She does not appear to be in shock as she is sitting up and 'singing' in that silkie way. She doesn't appear to be overly concerned about being alone and that is a concern. She also feels really warm to the touch. Warmer than the other chicks. She has no signs of external injury and no one steps on her or dropped her. She can barely use that leg now and lists to that side when trying to walk. She now just sort of flops around.

I have brought her in, made her comfortable and am watching her closely. She is by herself in air conditioning at 77 degrees.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I want to make her as comfortable as possible. I can manipulate her leg without her acting like it is hurting. I am really concerned. Any help, thoughts, suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Offer her something yummy, like bits of scrambled egg or something to see if she'll eat.
    Not reacting to you manipulating her leg is a bit worrisome, since she's limping. That almost makes me think more along the lines of stroke-like issues. I'd keep her in something darkish - a pet carrier covered w/a towel or something to "force" her to take it easy for the night - then see how she's doing in the morning. You already have her in a cooler enviroment, so that's good (in case of heat stroke or something). That's how I'd probably handle something like this. Now if she's still that way tomorrow, I'd start worrying (more) and searching for answers... Good luck! [​IMG]

3. horsefreak

horsefreak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Hi
    Try (if u can) bandaging her leg with a thin width bandage, cotton is good.( put some ioden on beforhand!)If she pecks at this, put some plastic(from a shopping bag) on top with some tape.
    Keep dipping her beak in water and feed chicken food ,soaked in water overnight, to her.
    U doing great [​IMG]

4. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    I was thinking along the lines of heat stroke myself. Can I safely, since she is a silkie, put her in some tepid water? She does seem to be awfully warm to me.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advise. I will put her in a dark room, I had her in the kitchen with me...that's where she was up until two nights ago when we finished our coop and run...and she seems very happy, comfy and calm here.

I'm afraid, at this point, if it is a stroke to give her baby aspirin so I will hold off on that. Please let me know if it is safe to put her in a tepid bath.

Thanks so much...

Decided not to wait and wet her down with tepid water. I am really very concerned. She is acting like her left side is paralyzed. If I try to sit her up, she just flops, literally, with little wings flailing over on her left side.

I've tried getting her to eat some wet chick starter, no go. I've dipped her beak in Sav a Chik and she will semi drink. I'm not sure what else to do but keep her quiet and comfortable. I'm making a scrambled egg to try and tempt her with that.

I feel terrible. I could have brought her in last night but I thought she had just sprained her leg while running around. The night was so cool, low 59 that I didn't even think about heat stroke! Yesterday was very warm in the sun though. When I checked on her at 10, she was doing better. This morning, however, she was much worse. Any other help, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

I'll try anything.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. teach1rusl

How is she doing this morning??? Any change?

6. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    How is she this morning?
    If it was heat stroke, she should have cooled off by now. Silkies are not heat tolerant at all. Does your run have plenty of shade and air movement? Yesterday was pretty hot. There's lot's of ideas in the forum on how to cool off chickens. Ice, misters etc. I had one experienced breeder tell me that she actually put a silkie in the freezer to cool her off quickly.

7. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Well after a night of many tears, mine and my 16 year old son's, yes, he was sobbing over his little chicken. About broke my heart. We all feared the worse! Yet, after many prayers...she is up and eating this morning:celebrate

She is still weak and doesn't have a lot of energy but she is pecking at her food energetically and making an attempt at being 'angry' at me for trying to get some electrolytes in her! I love it [​IMG]

She has a ways to go and I will keep her in the AC until she is up and about with her old enthusiasm but I am thrilled at the turnaround. Thanks everyone for all your help and concern. It's just amazing how fast you, and your kids, get attached to these little birds.

BTW...my run is shaded most of the day and they also have the area under the coop to shade in. We elevated the coop just for that reason and of course to keep the pesky ground dwellers from getting in. It is on the top of a hill, next to my kennels, (built in protection from all the other pesky predators), and there is a constant breeze that blows across the open field. Also, we are installing a fan today to help out further.

I will definitely be keeping a close eye on everyone in the next couple days...I'm filling a huge waterer with Sav A Chick and icecubes, gonna put ice water all over the place to try and keep them cool....all of which are going under the coop in the all day shade!

Thanks again, I'll keep you updated throughout the day!!!! This is how I feel this morning [​IMG]

8. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    That's great!!!
    So glad to hear it [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

[​IMG]

10. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Thought I would post an update. She is eating and drinking for me now. She actually has a crop that I can feel! However, I am once again leaning toward a leg injury. On closer inspection, it feels as if her right knee may be swollen. Is there anything I can do for her to make her more comfortable? She is having a whole lot of trouble getting around. Her right leg doesn't seem to want to bend at the knee. But, I can pick her up and tuck her into my stomach and she is fine. It just seems like that leg is out of control. It's a really strange thing. She still doesn't mind me manipulating it but can't seem to bend it under her like the left. Any thought/ideas?

I have baby aspirin and thought that might help with pain/swelling. What is the dosage for a 8 week old chick?

She looks much brighter and is very angry at not being able to get this leg under control.

Thanks for all the help, thoughts and support. I'll continue to post updates [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by