7 week old Silkie's and feathering

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sabine Ruesga, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Sabine Ruesga

Sabine Ruesga New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Oklahoma
    We began having chickens last year and decided to try raising a few chicks because we so enjoyed our adults. We decided to add 6 Silkies (2 Buff, 2 White, 2 Blue) that are 7 weeks old today and 6 Tractor Supply Red Pullets that are 5 weeks old to the mix. Last week we realized that at least one of our Silkie Buff's is a Roo. He has the red comb and waddle. Just to add more fun to the mix he started his first attempt at crowing this morning. After getting over the awe and shock of his squeaky wheel sounds I am realizing that keeping them indoors may not be an option much longer. We live in the southern part of Oklahoma and the temps outside range from low 50's to low 80's any given day and in the 40's at night. The chicks have all been outside on the warmer days but I want to make sure they would be ok if I permanently placed them outside. My question is what do I look for when I read that they should be fully feathered before they can be placed outside?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    With Silkies its a little more difficult to tell when they're fully feathered because of the shredding. Usually I put mine out when I can't see anymore chick fuzz stuck to the ends of those new feathers. Its quite a bit cooler where I am and I move mine out to a hutch at a couple weeks old with a heat lamp but once all that fuzz goes away I start turning the lamp off during the warmest parts of the day to wean them off.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. Sabine Ruesga

Sabine Ruesga New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for your reply, we just got another cold spell and since my wee chicks still have some fuzz around their necks they will stay put another week. Hopefully their new coop will be ready and the heatlamp will fill the gap :yiipchick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by