7 Week old Silkie's Roo's?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadyVictorian, Feb 11, 2017.

1. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I have 4 7 week old silkie chicks and two in particular seem to always get into each other faces and get into scraps and fights. Yuki and Aiko. I have been wondering lately, is it possible since these two always are picking on each other and starting fights could both of them be roosters coming into their hormones? I think one of the other chicks is a hen because of the shape of her crest and I thought my splash was a roo as well but he doesn't seem to get into fights. He will fight back if someone attacks but never starts them but my white and buff and constantly jumping at each other and squaring off. Is this behavior young roosters will show and if so does this mean my splash is also a hen since they don't partake in the squaring off?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chicks of both genders can exhibit fighting behavior as they work out the pecking order. Each bird's temperament/personality will be different, regardless of gender, and some will naturally be more "scrappy." At this point, I wouldn't assume anything about your Silkies' genders, since that particular breed takes a very long time to mature.

3. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Okay, thanks. It just seems so weird how Yuki and Aiko go at each other now and it never use to be a problem before. Also Yuki seems to pick on everyone else from time to time but they either run and hide or stand up for themselves.

4. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Well I guess my concerns were valid. They are about 8 weeks old now and I woke up and turned on the lights and what did I hear but Aiko trying to crow. He stood up tall and let out some weird gargled crowing sound. I thought he was dying but he went back to being normal. Then after a few minutes he did it again and then a third time. I'm suspecting then from looking at his crest that Sora, Yuki, and Aiko are all roosters and Hikaru is my only hen. Not sure if it makes a difference but they do all come from a pretty high quality breeder. Not sure if roo's can start crowing at 8 weeks but Aiko is certainly giving it a go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by