7 week old Speckled Sussex..are they roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chelleigh, Oct 18, 2012.

1. chelleigh

chelleigh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Dickson, TN
    I have 2 speckled sussex pullets that are 7 weeks. I am suspecting that one is a roo and that one might also be leaning that way based on their tail feathers and color/size of comb and behavior. No crowing yet but one kinda makes, I guess, a honk more than a chirp...she just talks to me in a different sound than the others. I am actually hoping that at least one will turn out to be a roo so I may be seeing more "rooness" than is actually there. Please let me know what you think.

Mona
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mable
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any opinions!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

yes, both of those are roos :( Sorry!

3. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah sorry, they are soo pretty tho

4. chelleigh

chelleigh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Dickson, TN
    Thanks! I suspected it. One will definitely be able to stay, but not sure how 2 roosters with 8 hens will work out. #2 might have to find a new home when he starts becoming trouble. I have never had roosters before so I am not sure how that goes.

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Both boys. You might be able to keep 2 cockerels over 8 hens. I'd keep them both and see if the hens can handle them both. If not, you can pick the nicest one to keep. As a plus, there personalities will already have developed so you'll be able to boot one if he turns out to be a meany. [​IMG] Just my thoughts...

6. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Yep, both roos. I have two SS roos with 9 SS hens and they are fine together. Each has their favorite girls. They are brothers who were raised together. I intended to keep only one. But they are both sweet and such gentlemen that they both ended up staying.

7. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    As others have said yep both roos. But I just wanted to say I have a SS named Mable too.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. Bangarang64

Bangarang64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Lake Okeechobee
    Take it from me, It's always a good idea to have a spare Roo in the early stages.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I always have a spare. If something happened to the first, you'd have to bring in a new rooster.

I keep my extras separate from the girls.

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Are you sure about their age? They look older than 7 weeks to me. My SS didn't show that sort of speckling in her baby feathers. It wasn't until after her big juvie molt (sometime between 10 and 16 weeks) that she did. FWIW, my pullet also had some pretty substantial and pink wattles/comb early on. I was told at 16 weeks that she was a cockerel based on that. She wasn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by