7 Week old Splash Orpington Chick Problem Weak legs??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknfishn, Aug 23, 2010.

1. chicknfishn

chicknfishn Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Out of 8 BBS Orpington chicks everone was growing like crazy, and just as I was going to put them outside I noticed that one of the bigger ones was having trouble standing/walking.

No other signs of Cocci or anything else. He/she appears healthy, eats a lot, drinks well. This is one of the biggest chicks. If you didn't look closely you would just think that he/she is resting.

So when I went to put them all outside in a different pen that is when I reallized that something wasn't quite right.

Any ideas on what this could be? It almost tlooks like when I grew Cornish Rocks and they were so heavy that it was hard for them to walk.

He likes to rest on his hocks. No paralysis or one leg out at any angle.

Any idea and what to treat with. It has been a week and he is not gettiang any worse and may be just a tad better.

Thank you

[​IMG]

2. chicknfishn

chicknfishn Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Anyone??

3. chicknfishn

chicknfishn Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Anyone have any ideas? This chick has been inside a hop in a 4'X4' clean new cardboard box brooder. Is it possible that this chick got Mareks from the air?

4. OrganicEggs75

OrganicEggs75 Mottled Rosecomb Heaven

Jul 27, 2010
    Not sure sorry. But I'll give ya a bump [​IMG] My 6 week old pullet can't walk so she is hanging out in my room were there are no bullies haha. They could have a leg problem rather then something like Mareks etc

5. chicknfishn

chicknfishn Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    So what do you think is wrong with your pullet?

They are about the same age. Has yours been out of the brooder yet.

Mine has'nt even been out yet. Its almost like it grew too fast, as it is really big I call it Gigantor. Eats and drinks like crazy just rest on it hocks. Occasionally gets up to move like an old man very slowly and almost trembling legs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  6. chicknfishn

chicknfishn Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Anyone else have any ideas what this could be?

7. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I and a couple of others on the forum are posting with a similar issue. In my case its a brown partridge cochin hatched 8/2 and she is fine except she can't stand up - she eats, drinks and poops normally. She is looking better and trying to stand after 2 days of non iron poly vi sol baby vitamin drops, apple cidar vinagar in her water, yogurt and I even tried some grass clippings. Mine was innoculated against Mareks but she was exposed to mold in the brooder.

Keep me posted
    I hope your baby recovers
    Caroline

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

very interesting I have a 4 month old brahma/game roo that s having similar problems he has grown very fast and very large hes twice as big as his 2 sisters, now he's having problems walking, seems to be unsteady on his legs just started yesterday. I have him isolated . He is eating great and drinking well too, just wondering what this is? He is one of our extras roos so will most likely put him down. But would really like to know what this is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by