7 week old Welsummer pullets(?) fighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by winkyfaye, Jun 13, 2016.

1. winkyfaye

winkyfaye Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2016
    Robbinsville, NC
    I have two 7 week old Welsummer pullets (?) that have started to have short fights. Hackles flared and feet out. Is this something normal as they are growing or is it a sign that they may actually be roosters. These fights are very short and then they just go back to scratching side by side as if nothing happened. If and what should I do about it. They both are developing a comb and one has wattles already.

2. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    They're sorting out who's in charge and who gets first rights to food. Males and females do it. They're sorting out the pecking order.

3. winkyfaye

Feb 8, 2016
    Robbinsville, NC
    Thank you Grub Digger. That is what I was hoping it was. The old Ladies we got in January have little spats but not with hackles out and feet flying, so was not sure what was going on. It is funny,
    there are two other 7 week olds, a silver and a gold laced Wyandotte in the same enclosure and they do not involve them in the mix. Or at least yet. I picked these guys up at 6 weeks of age when the others (3 day olds) in my order came in because I had to travel about 60 miles one way to get them. I am sorry that I did it that way as I have missed the chance to get them accustomed to us and being handled. I will not do that again. Live and Learn.

Again, Thank you Grub Digger.

4. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    No problem! If they do start looking suspicious you can always post pics to the "What breed/gender is this" section.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You can sex Welsummers by color pattern. Do your chicks have a salmon chest? They are pullets.If they have black chests then they are cockerels.

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    That's TCB. (Typical Chicken Behavior.) Nothing to worry about.

7. winkyfaye

Feb 8, 2016
    Robbinsville, NC
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by