7 week old White Crested Polish. Boy or Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 4Exploradores, Jul 7, 2016.

1. 4Exploradores

4Exploradores Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    Berkeley California
    This flock terror is a 7 week old bantam (white crested polish). It picks on all the others (2 Wellsummers, 2 Easter Eggers, 1 other other polish who's in isolation because all her head feathers were pecked out and bleeding by this terror).

This is Popcorn. Yesterday Popcorn started crowing in the mornings. My neighbor says that hens can crow too, but I noticed today that it's wattle is significantly bigger than the other Polish.

What do you think BYC folks? Boy or girl? (Sorry the photo's not great - Popcorn never stops moving!)

[​IMG]

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover! I would say its a mean rooster.

1 person likes this.
  3. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    That crest looks like a pullet, but the attitude says Cockerel

1 person likes this.
  4. tj74roberts

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    Just so you know, there are large fowl Polish and bantam Polish, so this could be the issue if you have all bantams your Polish could be a large fowl and therefore top dog and indeed a pullet not a roo

5. tj74roberts

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    also, Polish are not known to be bullies they are usually the ones being picked on

6. 4Exploradores

4Exploradores Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    Berkeley California
    Thanks a million tj74roberts! The Polish are supposed to be bantams. The rest are all "regular" size (though one easter egger has a scissor beak, so she's smaller bc it's harder for her to eat). We've got Hermione and Ginny (Wellsummers), Molly and Minerva (Easter Eggers), Hedwig (who's head wig has all been pecked out!) and Popcorn (defiant child wanted one without a Harry Potter name... and wouldn't it be ironic if that one is a rooster!)

7. tj74roberts

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    Oh, you're welcome. I love the names. Sometimes hatcheries and or farms stores get the birds wrong. And as for the easter egger with the scissor beak, I'm not sure how to help with that other than hand feeding to make sure that she eats good and give her scrambled eggs (no butter or salt) and wet her food but don't let her have it when it turns like glue.

P.s. I'm not an expert , but have some experience and I am a 4h poultry leader so I mostly have book knowledge and of course BYC!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by