7 week olds, do they have to come in during a thunderstorm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nickie, Jul 20, 2011.

1. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    My coop isn't complete yet... My husband has to travel with work and inclement server has gotten in the way time and again. Anyway, a pop up storm is headed right this way and I was wondering if I should halt dinner and gather them up for the laundry room. They have a small "shelter" a plank over a small portion of their playpen... Do I go get them?

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Hopefully, the storm has passed by you now.

At 7wks old, if they're still small enough to bring in, I would, given time.
    At 7wks old, they'll also be fine under their shade in the run. They'll likely NOT like the thunder or lightning AT ALL....freak out city. They'll likely try to run away from you (and/or from safety) if they're that startled.

If there's no time, they'll be fine (wet, mad, but fine) outside too.

Hope all went well!

3. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I wasn't worried about the rain, they've been playing in a mud puddle for a week with my ducks, its soooo hot... I was worried about thunder, lightening, and 70 mph winds. I brought them in and the storm is hitting now. I guess playtime is over for the day for them.

4. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    We had a freak rain shower that came pouring down so suddenly I didn't have time to get my babies in the coop before it all came down. Poor little things scattered every direction in the run. They didn't understand to go in the coop to stay dry. I chased them for several minutes, getting completely drenched before I could get them inside. lol

5. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I was worried because when I'm home I let them out to play in the yard, unconfined. Their "playpen" is open with their food and water and a small piece of shade where they can hop in and out, but they've been aging in and around a our brush pile that has a nice patch of mud and shade. I didn't want to have to bring them in because out is better than in my laundry room. I can't wait until it stops storming everytime my husband is home for more than a couple days. Standing on a tin roof in a thunderstorm is not the best idea, and until the roof is sealed I'm not putting nest boxes in or bedding to get wet and moldy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by