7 week olds in 24 degree temps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gardenlady2, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Gardenlady2

Gardenlady2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    I have 12 seven week old chickens. I've been using a heat lamp at night but not during the day for a week or so now. Today the temps were upper 20s to low 30s and they seemed just fine - even had them free ranging for about an hour and a half.
    So with tonight's low being 24 degrees, do you think I can leave the heat off? I really want to get them off the heat but am still nervous. 250w bulb. These are my first chickens.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We use a step down approach. 120Watt then down to a 75 watt. Don't want them dependent, but just to provide a transition period. You don't have to stay with that 250watt.

3. Gardenlady2

Sep 17, 2013
    Unfortunately I don't have a lower bulb and live over half an hour from any place to buy one......husband might be able to get one tomorrow. Guess I'll just turn it back on for them tonight....better to spoil them a bit longer than find frozen or smothered ones in the morning :-(
    I wish this cold spell had held off a bit longer. 10 day forecast shows lows in the mid 30s by the weekend and I know they'd be fine at those temps, so holding out for one more week...

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Any old bulb. Just not the new, mini fluorescent which don't throw any heat. Any regular incandescent bulb will work.

5. Gardenlady2

Sep 17, 2013
    Isn't the base of a standard bulb smaller than the heat lamps though?
    And will the bright light affect them? The 250w I have is red

6. pattersonml

pattersonml Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Bradyville, TN
    Heat lamp bulbs have the standard fitting so a normal watt bulb will fit in the lamp.

7. Gardenlady2

Sep 17, 2013
    Thanks, I actually discovered that this afternoon! I put in a 60w, plugged it in, it lit up and then a second later went out. Not sure if it was a bad bulb? So I put the 250w back in and changed the angle of the lamp so it points up at an angle instead of down. Figured this would still take the chill off without creating a super hot spot for them to sleep under. I think I'll leave it that way until the weekend at nights and then take it away. Supposed to be milder weather then and they'll be 8 weeks so they should be find from then on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by