7-week Pekin Duckling not walking :(

BladeDuck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 10, 2011
I now have another sick duck, this time one of my ducklings. She was acting normally the last time i checked on her at 10:30 and at 5:30 discovered her laying sideways in the grass. I have brought her in and really inspected her legs, they don't seem broken at all. I put a lot of pressure on all her leg joints and she didn't flinch. It does seem like her left side is the issue. She will "pat" her left foot when I hold her up but its the side she falls on when I let her go. She did fall in the window well yesterday, so I'm sure its related but she acted totally fine about it until now. She is a big girl but her legs look right for her size, I think.

These ducklings have been so vibrant and healthy since day 1. I've had zero issues with their feet cracking like my other ducklings I've raised did.

She's our favorite girl, help please
fl.gif
. I am so grateful to have BYC.

Video of her:

Not sure what I saw in the YT vid, she looked really stiff to me. My ducks would not be happy with my handling them in that way, but I can really only imagine them kicking like crazy. I'd put her in a warm Epsom Salt bath for 15-20 mins for a few days and observe. That's my best advice.

ETA: you could add Niacin supplements, I don't think that would hurt.

Last edited:
Has she been drinking regularly?

Any mold in her feed?

I second the suggestion for adding niacin supplements.

She is eating and drinking great, even now in the house box. I haven't noticed any mold issues in the feed, its pretty dry.

She has always been really easy going, she would be calm about me doing that as her non-sick self. She would just be actually standing on her own and kicking her feet around when I pick her up off the ground.

I will put her in the bath and see if that helps. I assume a cool bath thinking it might be an inflamation/sprain issue?

She can hardly stabalize herself even in the bath, its so sad :(. Seems like she got a concussion from falling in the window well. She acts drunk and dizzy trying to float around in the bath. The weightless feel in the bath was giving her a lot more confidence to try moving more than she has all evening, so that was good to see. I think she just needs rest to see if the concussion or whatever it is heals itself otherwise I don't think she's going to make it.. :(

I have sprinkled niacin on her feed and am putting some electrolytes in her water.

Update on Big Fat White Duck 2.0 from the Husband (worked remotely today so I could stay at home and monitor her):

She seems to be improving a bit. Her lack of coordination doesn't seem as severe but she does seem to be coming along slowly. She has been keeping up on her eating and drinking.

I did have a thought though while doing some research on all of this. We made some ratatouille the other day and one of the extras we made had a few mold spots so we threw it out to the ducks. They didn't eat very much of it, so it kind of just decomposed into the grass, but could that have been the cause? Should we avoid moldy veggies being given to the ducks? The water is changed 2-4 times a day, generally, and their feed doesn't last long enough to get moldy. The sprinklers will get their bowl wet in the mornings, but I dump out the water before putting feed in. None of the other ducks are showing any signs of this. I'm thinking it's a concussion and she's going to have to rest it off. What are some helpful tips that you could impart to us? I don't want to have to play duck nurse all the time! Just tugs on my heart strings too much.

~Husband to Blade

Update on Big Fat White Duck 2.0 from the Husband (worked remotely today so I could stay at home and monitor her):

She seems to be improving a bit. Her lack of coordination doesn't seem as severe but she does seem to be coming along slowly. She has been keeping up on her eating and drinking.

I did have a thought though while doing some research on all of this. We made some ratatouille the other day and one of the extras we made had a few mold spots so we threw it out to the ducks. They didn't eat very much of it, so it kind of just decomposed into the grass, but could that have been the cause? Should we avoid moldy veggies being given to the ducks? The water is changed 2-4 times a day, generally, and their feed doesn't last long enough to get moldy. The sprinklers will get their bowl wet in the mornings, but I dump out the water before putting feed in. None of the other ducks are showing any signs of this. I'm thinking it's a concussion and she's going to have to rest it off. What are some helpful tips that you could impart to us? I don't want to have to play duck nurse all the time! Just tugs on my heart strings too much.

~Husband to Blade
No Moldy veggies or bread or anything else, get some activated charcoal and at least have it on hand in case of botulism we have seen quite a few cases on here this year. If you suspect mold then you definitely need to use the charcoal. I'll get you the posts on it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806231/dilemma-help-please

Last edited:
Thanks Lydia for the botulism link, I still don't really know what I'm dealing with but she is progressing (getting better).

A little hard to watch because she looses her balance so easily but its a huge improvement from 48 hours ago when she had no ability to walk or hold herself up.

I think the R&R and 'physical therapy' in the bath tub is what is helping her the most. I'm giving her free choice diluted Apple Cider Vinegar, Redmond Clay (behaves similar to activated charcoal), feed, water. Also have put cod liver oil in her a water a few times as a vitamin boost, she loves that. Hoping that will help continue to heal whatever it is going on whether it be concussion, bacteria, or toxins.

ETA: Also sprinkling niacin on her feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom