7 week pullet squatting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JulieNKC, Aug 7, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I was sitting outside today with my chickens, and had one of my delaware/bantam cochin chicks on my lap. I went to pet her, and her wings lifted, her tail went up, and she squatted just like my big girls do. [​IMG] Is this normal? I know bantams are supposed to mature quicker, but 7 weeks? And she's only half bantam. They were hatched here, so I know I've got the age right. Even went back and searched my posts to be sure. My EE pullet just started squatting, and I got her in March. And does squatting mean she is for sure a pullet? I was kind of iffy on her, her comb and wattles are bigger than my for sure pullets, but way smaller and less red than the one's I know for sure are roos. I'll try to get some pics of her up tomorrow.

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Squating is normal for pullets, the reason they do it is to let a rooster mount on her during mating, so yeah its a girl. Good Luck [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I know it's normal for pullets, but this young? I thought squatting meant they'd be laying soon....

4. giannini

giannini Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Reno, Nevada
    Hi. I know this is a really old post....4 years. But I also noticed that no one had replied. Today, I pulled two of my 11 week old pullets out of their normal coop/run, and put them in a new portable run I am using on the lawn. I put them in with two new 11 week old pullets I am working in to the flock.(Yes! They were quarantined!) When I brought the two pullets back, and put them with their flock, one of the RIR pullets started squatting. It's the first time I have noticed any of them doing it. Does that happen this early normally?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by