7 weeks are we boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hale moa, Apr 20, 2008.

1. hale moa

hale moa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    big island hawaii
    the babies are 7 weeks old now. they were supposed to be banty cochin frizzles but none frizzled. i am even wondering if they are banties. can anyone tell me if they look like roos or hens? they are pretty darn sweet whatever they are! pulu is the buff, emu has the blacker head, penelope is mostly gray.. mahalo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The buff is definitely a girl. I think the 2nd one is too. Is the last pic a different bird? That comb is getting pretty pink, but very small so I'm not really sure on that one.

Jody

3. hale moa

hale moa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    big island hawaii
    yes, the final picture is emu who is much darker grey and its head is alot darker. the comb color is the same as penelope, i couldnt get her to turn her head for pictures. oh i hope they are girls! is there a way at 7 weeks to tell if they are banties? they seem pretty big but then they are all fluff at this point. i have never had cochins berfore.. the buff one is much smaller, has been since 3 days old and took forever to feather out, but all 3 act like banties, puffing up their chest,stretching their necks and chest butting each other... thanks for your input!

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

They look like banties to me, though I'd have to see them with a hand or something to be sure. I think they all look like girls, the last one seems to be too old to just now start getting a red comb, I think it's just starting to darken up, but it isn't large or anything.

5. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    look to be girls and banties.. Very pretty girls too [​IMG]

6. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'd say all except the last one are hens.

7. king2

king2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    GA
    I would say all are hens. my banty cochins had red combs and wattles by 4 weeks. they are very pretty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by