7 weeks old and I’m so confused!

DaSouthernYankee

Songster
Sep 13, 2018
Louisiana
Okay so Quackers and Cheese are about to be 7 weeks old, they’ve been quacking since 4 but I’m still so confused about sex. Somedays they are so loud! Then it’s like when I try to make them quack they want to get shy and give me low almost nothing quacks! I’m gonna try and get some candid quacks but I’ll include some recent videos so y’all can tell me what you hear. I’m just nervous about my hen/drake ratio!!

The pekin is def a hen, Unsure about the blue one. Could you maybe separate the two and record the blue one quacking alone?
Okay well at least we’ve got one girl!! I did grab Quackers and try to record but he/she started wiggling and I dropped my phone and decided that was enough torment for one day! Haha I’m gonna try again tomorrow. I feel like I have heard them both quack VERY loud but I just can’t seem to make them do it in command. Plus now I’ve got the little guy who has to peep peep peep while I’m recording! :gig

Is there certain markings that define that besides voice? Or demeanor? Because my blue is my much sweeter, brave little buddy. First one to come over for peas or come sit next to me.
You will know when they really start to quack. (Your ears will hurt!) That's when i figured out who is what. At an age of ~5 months you will know. One of my drakes has just developed that Drake Feather at >6 months, the other one, my special needs duck Limpy, hasn't. At seven weeks old all my ducks were quacking - more or less - and i considered myself lucky to have five females who will lay eggs for us, when literally overnight two started wrasping.
Just be patient…

You will know when they really start to quack. (Your ears will hurt!) That's when i figured out who is what. At an age of ~5 months you will know. One of my drakes has just developed that Drake Feather at >6 months, the other one, my special needs duck Limpy, hasn't. At seven weeks old all my ducks were quacking - more or less - and i considered myself lucky to have five females who will lay eggs for us, when literally overnight two started wrasping.
Just be patient…
Okay well I feel better knowing it might just be too early! Either way I’m hoping that them all growing up pretty close together if I end up with a drake they’ll all stay friendly. Fingers crossed I’ll just have to wait!!!

Back
Top Bottom