7 weeks old - do they still need heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DraigAthar, Nov 20, 2011.

1. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    The chicken addiction is growing. I just picked up three 7 week old Dominiques from Othala Acres (Lily was SUPER nice, by the way, I am so happy I found them) because I am looking to start breeding Doms. I got two roos and a pullet. They are fully feathered, but do you think they need any supplemental heat? They were still living in a broody cage with their momma and four other chicks before I got them. I've got them inside a large-ish shed for now until the hubby finishes building them more permanent quarters, so no drafts at all, but our nights are in the 20s for the next week or more, and steadily dropping. I guess my big concern is that if I give them too much extra heat now, they won't adjust to the colder temps we are certain to get as winter progresses here in NH. Any thoughts? I want their little bodies to adapt to the cold, but I don't want to freeze the little guys, either.

Here's a pic, if that helps:

[​IMG]

Amy

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldn't add heat at this age and time of year. They need to acclimate to cooler temps.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are done needed supplemental heat, indeed. Now, they must feather up and grow thick down. This is what nature will do if they are exposed to cold temps. With winter coming, the kindest thing you can do is allow the natural process, and then on out to the coop.

4. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Thanks, this is what I was thinking, too. I just needed confirmation that it was the right way to go! [​IMG]

Amy

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Hi Amy,

I am in NH and my 5 chicks are 8 weeks old tomorrow. They have been outside for 3 weeks and are thriving, I think your chicks will be fine [​IMG]

6. dixieland

dixieland Blue Eggs by the Bushel

Oct 7, 2007
    Carthage, TN
    I agree with everyone else. Just keep them dry and in draft free areas and they will thrive.....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by