7 weeks Speckled Sussex gender?

camochick96

Songster
Apr 27, 2017
North TX
I’ve thought this is a pullet since day one, can y’all confirm just to be sure I have no experience with this breed. I have heard they tend to get wattles earlier than most. Hers are just showing up this week.
2EF23D98-A9CD-40FE-8CC4-9F100B9C72AC.jpeg
DCCE61CA-A226-480F-8651-0BAE76340B75.jpeg
EBF0FD2D-82FC-4E5A-97AE-B364F1C85A3E.jpeg

Attachments

• 3A7C0953-7681-47E0-AF67-D82D7D60A443.jpeg
    3A7C0953-7681-47E0-AF67-D82D7D60A443.jpeg
    747.7 KB · Views: 7
I believe that's a cockerel because of the coloring. Males have the white tip and black bar at the end of each feather.
Oh no, I knew for sure this one was a pullet. She’s small framed and has small legs and feathered right along with my other pullet for the first weeks. Everything has seemed pullet to me. :idunno

Oh no, I knew for sure this one was a pullet. She’s small framed and has small legs and feathered right along with my other pullet for the first weeks. Everything has seemed pullet to me. :idunno
This is what I found when I searched as I was also trying to sex my SS chicks.
"Their tails are brown and black with white on the ends, while their beaks are brownish-pink. Male Speckled Sussex chickens have a dark mahogany head, neck, and saddle with the tip of almost every feather adorned with white and a black bar that lies between the white tip and the remainder of the feather."

This is what I found when I searched as I was also trying to sex my SS chicks.
"Their tails are brown and black with white on the ends, while their beaks are brownish-pink. Male Speckled Sussex chickens have a dark mahogany head, neck, and saddle with the tip of almost every feather adorned with white and a black bar that lies between the white tip and the remainder of the feather."
Thank you for the helpful information. I already have one confirmed cockerel out of 3 “pullets” this year, so I’ll wait this one out fingers crossed it turns out to be a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom