7 wk Buff Orrph MUST have a sore throat or......?

HenNewbie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Dayton, Or
My girls are spending the nights inside their brooder in the house for another night or two (coop and run not quite ready). This morning I had taken 3 out to their run this morning leaving one lone girl in the brooder as my hands were full and as I left the mud room and progressed down the stairs I heard this croaking noise - stopped my in my tracks. Just as I was feeling pretty confident all were girls!

My sister-in-law also has chickens and said the hens can crow. I have read here that this can happen too. In some other discussions on the forum, people have spoken of visual signs of a roo. Given this is my first time around chickens or birds of any kind... I have no idea what to look for. I bought these girls as sexed 1 wk olds from my local farm store with the knowledge I had a 10% chance of getting a roo. What specific visual cues might I look for to determine if I have a roo.

They all look-a-like to a novice like me. Two do have larger bodies - most noticeable difference. Their combs are tiny and appear to be very similar in size and shape.

While I only have 4, I have trouble telling them apart. Below are some photos. See any Roos??

30214_2009_06_12_0033.jpg

30214_2009_06_12_0032.jpg

30214_2009_06_12_0030.jpg

30214_2009_06_12_0029.jpg

I have 4 Buffs almost the exact age and they look identical. So, I hope you are right Farm Frenzy!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom