7 wk old chicks and 2 yr old hens. What do I feed them collectively?

Supernatural

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
Des Moines
I'm looking to move my 6 wyandotte chicks (7 weeks old) into the big coop with my 4 BO's. They've been hanging out in a side-by-side run for a couple of weeks - still sleeping in my house, and what a pain to move them in and out every day! While they have a run, my hens free-range the yard when we're outside to babysit them, and will now do so permanently since we've finished our yard fencing.

Anyway, I want to put feeders out, but if I use starter feed, my hens will eat it all and not touch their layer feed. Is it okay for the hens to eat the starter feed for the next few months until I switch the chicks to layer? I'm just not sure how to handle this problem.

Started feed is designed for little chickens and layer feed is bad for little chickens (too much calcium). Maybe you should continue keeping and feeding them separately and let them sleep in the same coop? You can start them on layer feed when they are about 16 weeks old.

It is not a problem feeding hens starter or grower. Just offer shells on the side. The hens will eat the shells when their bodies yearn for calcium. Normally, chicks don't show a lot of interest in shells.

Chicks shouldn't be eating Layer feed, as the added calcium isn't good for them, and potentially quite harmful. Finally, you could just feed everyone a Flock Raiser or All Flock feed. That's why they make it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom