7 wk old has runny eye!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckins, Jan 4, 2013.

1. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Need advice no bird vet in area 7 week old duck has runny eye started today noticed it was red yesterday no nasal discharge or coughing eating and drinking normal she has a heated bucket deep enough for head dipping but doesn't really dip put her in tub tonight for a good cleaning cleaned around eye not in eye with q tip and clean water she loved her bathtub swim eye is bloodshot this happened 3 wks ago lasted 2 days cleared up I chalked it up to shavings dust the only difference is she's outside now and doesn't get as much swim time. Hissbee also has little bruises on her feet maybe more veins than usual not sure she stays in dry shavings and lot is covered so I wouldn't suspect frost bight but did run on my rock patio pretty hard with others yesterday. attached few pics. Sorry for so many issues this week had ducks for 9 mons. But all issues or concerns have happened this week.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Eye pic[​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, when it rains it pours, doesn't it?

You are doing well by her. I would get some eye wash and use that to help her out, keep her in for a couple of days where it's warmer (45F or above), just give her a break and let her heal. I feel that it takes loads of energy for them to stay warm, and if you can keep them warmer, they can use that energy to power their immune system.

I would give her some poultry vitamins, electrolytes, just for a boost. Continue the baths (glad she likes them), just let her know you care - I think they appreciate that even if they aren't snuggly.

And please keep us updated.

4. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    What type of eye wash do you suggest. My son has steroid eye drop and antibiotic eye drop would that do any good or harm?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Just use maybe a saline eye wash, I would NOT use any type of human steroid eye drops without knowing exactly what is causing the redness. Steroid drops can make some infections worse. (I'm an ophthalmic tech x 18 years). If it doesn't clear up you might try an antibiotic eye drop but I'd give it some time first and see how it does.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    See if you can get some Veterycin that can be used as eye wash. A very dilute, cooled chamomile tea might be worth considering. It would need to be carefully strained to remove any particles. The saline solutions also sounds like a good idea.

7. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Been keeping watch it seems to b improving since her little swim. Will try saline tomorrow does it say saline solution on the bottle and i go by bottle directions?Thank you so much for the help.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    DON'T use the steroid. Depending on the problem, it can make things MUCH worse. Only use a steroid if recommended by a vet.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Amiga maybe you should ask this be put with the other info in the sticky? good info. also that is one reason I like to keep Veterycin on hand it's pricey but I like the idea of being able to spray the eyes and face with it. and already to use too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by