7 wks old hooked beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kacey's Krazee's, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I was sitting in the coop today watching the girls eat part of a pumpkin. I noticed one of my silver laced wyandottes has a hooked beak. It looks straight on her head, not like it's crossed. It looks more like an eagles' beak. Is this going to cause her any harm? I didn't notice if she was or wasn't at the pumpkins, nor have I noticed her standing off during other treats. She actually went into the coop and ate her crumbles. I don't think she is able to pick at things, as the top beak crosses over the bottom beak. Do you think this is some thing that is going to have to be trimmed? Will it hurt her? Please tell me there won't be any blood either! I am horrible when it comes to trimming the dogs nails, and beg my DH to do it. I will have problems with this too. I haven't noticed any unusual behavior from her, and she appears to be growing at the same pace as the others. I am not sure when this beak started growing like this, or if it has always been there. I just noticed it. There is 8 total Wyandottes in our flock, and she is the only one that looks like that.
    Could you help advise?

2. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    Does anybody have any info on this please?

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Could you post a picture?

I don't have any info for you, but I always like to see/learn new things.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't have any idea about whether it needs to be trimmed, but as long as she is acting normal and not seeming to have any problems from it, I wouldn't worry too much. I hope you get some feedback on whether it should be trimmed or not...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by