7 year old Barred Rock Hen, just adopted her!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kickinchicken, Jul 3, 2011.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    So, I adopted 3 hens from one of my clients. I am a pet sitter. He is losing his home and while caring for his dog, Sam, I noticed the hens were in dire need of just about everything. The coop was just an utter disaster. [​IMG] They were laying their eggs on a poop-covered floor, flies were everywhere, there was no feed to be found and the waterer was rusting out and had a hole in it and was only offering them rusty water. Their run was packed hard dirt and it was just way to small for 3 standard hens to adequately do chickeny things. [​IMG]
    2 of the 3 have bumble foot. I am going to try that non-surgical treatment I read about in May or June.
    The Barred Rock, Millie, seems a bit in need. She has bright red skin on her rear and chest, feathers missing. Her eyes seem a bit swollen as well as her comb. No one has mites and the other 2 seem pretty healthy other than some feathers missing below the ear along the neck on Rhonda the RI Red.
    So, is it just a case of a hen who is molting and old and perhaps stressed, or is it something more?
    I am not exposing them to my bantams for a month, of course.
    I am thinking of adding vitamins to their water, adding more protein to their diet too.
    Honestly, the guy was feeding them BREAD! [​IMG] Bread!! I can only imagine the vitamin deficiency they must be suffering right now.

ETA:
    I just cooked up some Cod fish with EVOO and added the ManaPro show conditioner. the crude protein is 22%. I mixed the Cod with the conditioner with some more EVOO and some cayenne pepper. I figure these girls have been denied pro[per nutrition for so long that every bit helps. Especially at 7 plus years of age! [​IMG]

Ashlee

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I hope you remember biosecurity and keep them quarantined away from your flock. I know that you will eventually get them back into tip top shape...but as far as feed and vitamins go, do it gradually. You dont want to overload them with all the high protein feed and vitamins all at once. Their systems arnt used to it and cant handle it. Get them used to layer feed at first, then gradually add gamebird feed to the mix for extra protein. Then add ACV to their water, then a couple of weeks later, stop the ACV for about 5 days and add poultry nutri drench in their water for that 5 day period, then stop. Then just use ACV in the water thereafter.Too much nutri drench can cause diarrhea because it is rich in minerals and vitamins. I recommend adding buttermilk to the layer feed when you first start. It will coat their innards and is a probiotic. Once you get them into shape, consider worming them with valbazen.

3. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the advice! I figured its like when a starved person is finally fed, you have to start with small meals so as to not shock the digestive system. I haven't quite added the poly vi sol the water yet. So, so far they've had the layer feed...I did start them on this a week ago when I noticed their dire condition...and tonight gave them the cod with conditioner additive. They also got to free range for a few hours as I added the final touches on the coop I made for their quarantine. The area they were foraging, they had no access to my current flock.
    I will get some pictures tomorrow. They are really pretty old ladies! I even got an egg today from the darkest hen....Edie! I have no idea what breed she is, I am thinking a black sex link?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Your heart is in the right place to take in these ladies, Sounds like your doing a great job and they are already responding with an egg. I wish you the best as you care for these and the rest you have taken in. [​IMG]

5. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    That's really sweet of you![​IMG] Good luck with the new/old girls!

6. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I thought I should add this...We went off to see the local fireworks and the whole time I was afraid the girls wouldn't go in their coop for the night...well they didn't! The 3 of them were perched on the overhang in their run. It was so cute! They were in their sleep coma state and were very cooperative as I placed them on their roost. Tomorrow night I will be sure to put them in before 10pm and place them on their roost...again.
    Poor girls had a lousy (broken) broomstick for a roost! Honestly! A broomstick for a Barred Rock, RIR and (suspected) black sex link. No wonder it was broken. Its made for a parakeet, not a chicken! Even my bantams would be like....uh, what do you expect us to do on THAT thing?
    I really am enjoying my little old ladies. I am really just wanting to keep them healthy and happy and entertained until they move on to the next life. They are so sweet and talkative. I just love how observant and curious they are. My bantams will really like them...once the quarantine is over, of course!!

7. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Well, after 24 hours with me, our old gal seems to be doing well. The bald patches that were bright red are now a mild pink. So it seems that our feather picker is finding other things to satisfy her. They have been out free ranging all day eating bugs and grass and napping in the shade. They seems so content and happy.
    My neighbor's daughter and son-in-law just bought a little farm a few months ago and will most likely be taking the old gals home with them this week. They have been looking for chickens for about a month and are psyched to give a home to a rescue chicken.
    But, if they can't take them the girls will have a home with me! They are so darned cute and chatty!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:That is very cool. Either way I wish them the best..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by