700 rescued chickens need homes at MSPCA

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by erinm, Nov 26, 2007.

1. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    To anyone who may not have heard. the MSPCA at Nevins farm in methuen has taken about 700 chickens in a neglect case in mendon next town over from me ( In Mass.) Thay all need homes!!!
    I called today about adoption of 2( that is all i can get i can't have more than 12)
    but there are many ages and most are black and red sex links. The farm is near new hampshire border I guess. easy for our hampshire members to get to also!
    So if anyone is interested here is the email and the phone number

[email protected]
    978-687-7453 x6113

Lets help all these poor girls out! When i read the article in our local paper, they were found ranging over dead chickens and were in a starving state, no food or proper watering and the dead were just left there like trash. They were given an order to rectify and did not so they were taken. The girl said it took all day from methuen and back to rescue them all. a large job for sure! I figure every one we rescue is one more not euthanized. They will be ready in 3 days about because of course being a shelter they are tested for disease.
    I thought everone would like to know about the situation if anyone wants to recue some! Horrible just horrible ErinM

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

This was on the breakfast news a couple of weeks ago...It seems like the guy rented a plot to raise chickens and ducks for his brother's restaurants in Chinatown.

3. erinm

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    Yeah what a guy. obviously took on way more than he could handle or just did not care. What i want to know is How can you rent it out and not check up on what is going on on your land? I am gonna adopt 2. it is all i can do. I wish i could have more ErinM

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi Erin,
    Where in Mass--or better yet, how far from the CT border? I am about 45 minutes from Springfield and an dlooking for 5 or 6 hens myself.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

6. erinm

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    Thanks spotted crow. the only thing i know so far is it is right off Rt. 495. Erinm

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Wow, I sure wish we could have more than 6. I would take some for sure.

Weird that he was raising sex links for a chinese restaurant, though..... not really meat birds are they? Our sex link is teeny and wiry: an egg-laying machine but certainly not very meaty! What a bad man, anyway.

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Wish I were close enough to take some. I'd love to help. Anyone coming near W. Tn?

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, phooey! This is the time of year when I move everyone inside to the winter coop - not the best time to be trying to quarantine and then integrate new birds. I'm so close to them, though - I'm feeling guilty...

10. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I wish I had my coop set up, or I'd rescue a few!

For those that don't know Nevins Farm, it's an excellent rescue organization. I adopted my dog from Nevins Farm, and I am grateful to them for him every day.

It's about a half hour from Boston, right off 93 on the New Hampshire border.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by