72 eggs and not 1 hatched!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by weaversfarm, Mar 12, 2013.

1. weaversfarm

weaversfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    These were Maran, Barred Rock, and Wyandotte eggs. Being brown eggs it's hard to candle and see what's going on. All I could make out were dark shadows. I left them in the incubator until day 20 when I started noticing an odor. I broke one open, then another and another, not one single egg had the beginnings of a chick. Here is a picture of some of the eggs I broke open. These eggs were not shipped, I made a 2 hour round trip to pick them up, and I did it two times. The first 3 dozen eggs she sold me she said might have gotten too cold, she was right, none of the first 3 dozen hatched so I made the trip back up there to get the second 3 dozen eggs and not one of those hatched either. She told me because of the expense of me having to make 2 trips up there and because I waited for over 2 hours for her to get the last batch, she would send me 1 dozen Welsummer eggs. She was supposed to send them out 2 1/2 weeks ago and I haven't seen them yet. I emailed her and told her to keep them, trying to hatch out her eggs was a waste of my time and money. I also sent her these pictures. I am so angry that I spent all that time and money for absolutely nothing. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Is she sure they were even fertile? You can hatch eggs that have frozen solid and thawed back out, as long as the shell didn't split. I've done it before, and I'm currently incubating 18 eggs that were exposed to below freezing temps for hours before I got them. Every single one is developing well, and not a one has quit on me.

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Those didn't even begin to develop, I can about guarantee those aren't fertile. Maybe you need to e-mail her a guide on figuring out if her eggs are fertile or not. I actually had to do that with a girl I bought eggs off of. Waste of money for me as well, I still haven't gotten back my "18 eggs once the fertility shows." :(

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I've hatched frozen eggs before. Ive had eggs ship out in 10 degree weather and i've still been able to hatch them. Those weren't fertile. There's no way.

5. weaversfarm

Nov 28, 2012
    The first 3 dozen she gave me I am sure were floor eggs because they were filthy and it was well below zero the day and night before we went to get them. She told me she had just gone out to get them and it may have been too cold too long, but to try them. Not one hatched. The pictures here are of the second group of 3 dozen I got from her. Although the eggs are much cleaner than the first batch, they didn't hatch either. I have never had trouble hatching eggs but they were always my own. This is the first time I have ever bought eggs from someone else to hatch and I am thinking it will be the last time. It's very discouraging and frustrating.

6. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I once had a lady who believed all her chicken eggs were fertile and she didnt even own a rooster. Never had one. Dont know why she thought they were fertile then.

7. mommachick1

mommachick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Did you purchase them from someone who's a member of backyardchickens.com? If so, you can leave a review on their profile page. I'm so sorry these eggs didn't work out for you, I hope you will give it another try. I just hatched some eggs last Thursday for two backyardchicken breeders and couldn't be happier with their eggs and shipment. I didn't have as many hatch as I wanted, but it was my fault, not theirs. All but 4 eggs were fertile out of 42 that were set. Problem was I couldn't get my humidity up during lockdown no matter how hard I tried. My last two chicks, I had to assist cuz they couln't zip around the egg anymore cuz the membrane was stuck to them (shrinkwrapped). Will be buying a humidifier before lockdown on this next hatch.

8. weaversfarm

Nov 28, 2012
    This lady supposedly knows better because she told me she sells fertile eggs on ebay all the time. I don't think she is a member here.

9. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    That is crazy. I am so sorry.

10. weaversfarm

Nov 28, 2012
    I emailed her today and sent pictures of the eggs and she said she would send me a check, that she didn't want me unhappy. She was supposed to send me the Welsummer eggs 3 weeks ago today and I never got them, wonder if the check will come as slowly, or at all.... It's just very frustrating to do the incubating twice and have not one chick hatch either time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by