??????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tashtash, Dec 25, 2012.

1. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    I'm new to the whole chicken as pets thing. I'm getting my incubator this week once there hatched what light bulb do I need for my brooder box. How long do they need to be in there till there allowed outside with no light. I'm thinking I'll let them outside in my cage during the day and inside at night. I'm in austrailia and we have our summer at the moment. Our days are in the high 30's some days have got to 40'. Help please if I have got it all wrong.....

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Well, get an infrared heat bulb, you can let the chicks outside during the day once they are fully feathered (no fluff). You can take them out of the brooder at 2 months, they wont need the lamp anymore.

Here, this should help https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

Good luck and have fun. [​IMG] and Merry Christmas

3. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    30-40 celcius, you will need nothing. They will be OK in that range. Provide shade and draft free place for them.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  4. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

In my brooder I use a bathroom heat globe running through
    a lighting dimmer.
    It gives very accurate heat control.
    i put the babies in there for the first critical 2 weeks,
    then out in a larger shed with a ceramic heat globe for a couple more weeks.

5. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Thanks really helpful. my plan is to keep a light on at night for 2 weeks and outside during the day. :) thanks for the answers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by