:-(

arpyhh

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
My Coop
My Coop
We lost one of our girls last night. (Red Sexlinks)
There is no sign of why and the others seem fine and healthy.

I have read here that they just sometimes die suddenly and there is no apparent reason.
Now I'm scared we will lose more of them... I'm so sad.

She had been fine and laying regularly up until last night!
Could it be the drastic change in weather? I hate not knowing why.

:-(

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
How old was she?

Not knowing is the hardest part. Just support the others (maybe with some yogurt, vitamins, or ACV) and don't introduce any new birds for a month, just in case. Watch for any signs of illness, but don't fret, it happens. You will likely have no more problems. Sorry!
hugs.gif

One of my friends had 3 8 month olds just die on him its hard sorry. Did you have a heat lamp for them? I know at least with my chickens some of the tougher ones push the lower chickens away from the lamps and the end up on the ground away from everyone else and can freeze I had to place like 5 heating lamps all over the place just to make sure that everyone was covered.

Not saying thats why she died it was just a thought sorry again I know it sucks I just lost a hen last week to a fox :(

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that.

I am in a similar situation. Yesterday one of my hens was not moving. She just was slumped in the corner of the coop. The day before she was really healthy and happy, I even petted her and she was just 100 percent healthy. She is about 3 years old.

Now I think she is dyeing. Its so sad. Its so strange as I can't actually find anything physically wrong with her.

She is a good weight, breathing normally, not fluffed up or distressed. She just site there with her eyes closed and will not eat anything. Today I expected her to be dead, but she is the same. I have put her in a cage with a heat lamp, chick food, and vitamins in the water. She will wake up and take regular drinks, and eat a small amount, then just slump down again like she has no energy. Her eyes look dull also.

I hate to see her suffering, but I can not bring myself to kill her - I don't even know how to do it, or ever want to. I hope she does not suffer for too long will pass away tonight in her sleep.

Thankfully all my other chickens are fine. But its so worrying that this might be the start of something.

Back
Top Bottom