Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Irishgirl, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Irishgirl

Irishgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    This is an old wives tale and will only tell you how badly you are hurting the chick before it gives up struggling. Do not hold chicks like this, it's cruel and unecessary.

1 person likes this.
  3. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    X2. Their weight is not meant to be supported by the skin on their neck.

4. Irishgirl

Irishgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It is a point of speculation on wether or not an animal feels pain when you do something. I go by vocalizations when it comes to an animal that communicates primarily in that manner. I know for a fact that picking up a chick this way produces 'distress' vocalizations meant to summon a hen for protection. In my mind, that's evidence enough that I shouldn't be doing whatever it is that is distressing the chick.

Also, if you are certain this method works, then you could absolutely compile data on it and present it to the farming industry as a whole. There is multiple of millions of dollars that have been sunk into creating breeds that can be easily sexed at hatch. If your method actually worked, the industry would not have blown so much money on alternate methods such as vent, feather, and color sexing. If all it took was picking up a chick a certain way, I personally believe they would be employing that method right now (big industries hate spending their money unecessarily).

But again, if you think you have a method that nobody else knows about or has thought of, then you stand to make billions of dollars by compiling the research and copyrighting with intention of selling the information to big businesses.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it does hurt the chicks, if it didnt they would not struggle and vocalize like they do when they are held that way...poor babies should not have to go throught that...

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by