75g egg from single comb

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by S Family farm, May 19, 2012.

1. S Family farm

S Family farm In the Brooder

May 18, 2012
    Central FL
    Got a 75 g egg from brown leghorns
    Is this normal?

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What are single combs?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

A single combed breed? Combs have nothing to do with egg size.

Could you explain what you mean by "single comb"? I saw your other thread in Random Ramblings and I think you have a mistaken idea about what a single comb means.

I noticed your signature line:

Quote: Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Delawares and Australorps all have single combs. You have it listed like it's a different breed.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  4. S Family farm

S Family farm In the Brooder

May 18, 2012
    Central FL
    Yes they are caled single comb brown leghorns. Single comb for ahort. I just figured people would know that who have those chickens

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Leghorns are a single combed breed, the browns and whites and all other of the more rare colors, too. Leghorns aren't called "single combs"-all the birds you have listed other than your "Araucanas" are single combed breeds. That's what was confusing us.

No chicken goes by the term "single comb" or no one will understand which one you're talking about. There are single comb Rhode Island Reds and rose combed Rhode Island Reds, but they're all called Rhode Island Reds, so you need to call yours Brown Leghorns. [​IMG]

They can lay really huge eggs, for sure. Leghorns are the white egglayers that supply the jumbo eggs on grocery store shelves.

Last edited: May 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: