7day old Indian fantail dove

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by tjmiddlemass, Jan 9, 2015.

1. tjmiddlemass

tjmiddlemass Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2014
    I need help quickly I have a 7 day old fantail dove, her mum and dad started refusing to go near her so yesterday we brought her in and started hand rearing with kaytee complete baby food she felt very hot considering her parents wouldn't go near her but looked plump, her stomach looks swollen and she's burning up what could be wrong with her

2. fadedracer

fadedracer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2015
    Canker? Infection? Whats in the baby food? Hope this helps

3. fadedracer

Jan 5, 2015
    By now he should be on regular pigeon pellets or whole grain. Good Luck.

4. tjmiddlemass

Sep 24, 2014
    I am using kaytee complete hand rearing food, hes 7 days old today

5. fadedracer

Jan 5, 2015
    The adult pigeon will not produce any milk after the 7th to 9th day of hatching eggs. So by now the parents have probably only been feeding it what ever you have been feeding them. Some pigeon pairs forget to keep feeding there young after a week, 2 weeks etc. (bad pigeons or first time they have ever raised squabs ( still learning things )) I am sorry I do not know what is in the kaytee complete feed you are using. But if it were me, I would feed it what you were feeding the adults. I have seen people just take a small jar, put a cloth over opening, cut a slit in the cloth covering the opening and put the squabs beak in the opening and he should do the rest. If he doesn't get the idea to drink right,or you are not giving him water, make pigeon pellets or chicken mash/pellets soft with water and do as above. Hope this helps and good luck.

6. tjmiddlemass

Sep 24, 2014
    I have been feeding baby dove for 2 days her parents are on their own in avairy, not flying free since they laid the egg, I have looked in the babys mouth, she looks normal apart from she looked like her stamach was blotted, shes eating fine but is very very hot, her parents dont have any tell tale signs of canker either, bays drppings also look normal so iam really confused and worried

7. fadedracer

Jan 5, 2015
    If droppings look fine, I think she is just running a little warm because of the richer feed, and the better feeder ( You ) Keep up the great job!!!!!! Make sure you put an absorbent under squab, change it fairly regularly and keep the great job up. Hope this helps.

8. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    They always feet really hot.. they give off a lot of body heat.. its normal.

The bloated stomach is NORMAL.. its called the crop and its where the food is stored.. only feed when the crop is empty.. and give as much as it will eat each feeding to fill the crop back up.. its like a food storage bag.

The parents will only feed it a few times a day at this age.. and will often leave it on its own on the nest...... are you sure they really abandoned it? Try putting it back in the nest for a day.. and in the evening check its crop is full of food. If not you will know they really have stopped feeding it.

The parents will only brood it at night now too and short periods in the day.. so don't worry if you don't see them always with it... unless the weather is cold.

When the pigeon is older the parents only feed 2 or 3 times in 24 hours max.. so many people make the mistake its been abandoned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by