-7F and all is well

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cluckies, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well, for those that worry about their chickens outside at 32F, don't worry. I opened the pop door and they all still came out of the coop like they were exiting a clown car. Here they are at -7, out in the run. They do not seem to be having an issue. My run is blocked on 3 sides from the wind by greenhouse panels (North, West, and East) it is open to the south. Believe me, it is freezing out there. (8:00 am)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They will continue to do just fine in temps even colder than that. Good idea, blocking off the sides of the run.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Brrrrr...is that waterer heated?

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    we were 15 below, and no the water in not heated, and frozen solid all the way down!

Got to stomp it out and pour in more.

Mrs K

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It got down to -7 here at my place yesterday, and the flock was not enjoying it a bit.

The water did not freeze since I have the plastic waters on cookie tin light-bulb heaters. Very efficient little devices.

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    That waterer is heated, but I ditched it yesterday as the thing came apart and spilled 2 gallons of water in my run, I was a scooping fool with my bare hands in below zero weather trying to keep it from running all over the run, I pitched the water, shavings and dirt out the door. I put the heated dog dish back in along with a heated nipple waterer (horizontal) with the heater and pump. It seemed to work good all day yesterday and today. I took it in overnight though. Waiting for a response from someone if it works over night and stays liquid or not in below zero weather. I suppose I should just try it and see... I know the dog dish freezes over night, so I always bring that in too. Winter is trying! And we are just barely into it! [​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You said it! Winter is indeed trying! It got into the low 20s for a couple hours today after several days of below zero. Felt almost balmy.

On top of it, I've moved the five youngest from their grow-out coop into the coop with the majority of the adults, trying to get ready for new chicks come May. For most of this week, they've been adjusting to going into a new coop to roost at night. Last night they all went in just fine, but tonight Maude was whining on the stoop of her old coop, and I picked her up and took her over to the other coop, squatted down, and just then she flapped her wings in the panic of being surrounded by older girls going inside, scratching the surface of my eyeball in the process. ****! Those wings can sure hurt!

Dealing with water spills definitely tops the list of things you never want to deal with in sub-zero temps! I sympathize!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by