7th day of incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harris farm, Sep 5, 2010.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    i have 7 eggs that i put in the bator on 8-30-10. today i candled them and there were 5 that were kind of dark and 2 had veins. 2 days ago i candled them and saw 5 or 6 with veins. Are the dieing or is this normal or is the flashlight to dim or is there too much light in the room. this is my first time incubating. all answers welcome. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. harris farm

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    what does it take to get help? I'm not trying to be ugly but someone has to know what to look for at 7 days in bator. THANKS ALOT

3. smalltownfarmer

smalltownfarmer New Egg

Aug 25, 2010
    Im new at hatching and im on my 3rd batch! with a homemade incubator that I made. If you are seeing veins and a dark shaped object I would leave them in the bator what I do is on eggs im not quiet sure of is put a small dot on each side of the dark spot u see in the egg and in a few days if its not growing past those dots cull the egg.

4. harris farm

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I will keep an eye on them, I'm not giving up.

5. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    What kind of eggs are they, chicken? Turkey? Are they white or brown eggs? By 7 days, you can see veins in the viable ones. So that is a good sign if you're seeing them, definitely don't toss those. If you dont see veins at all in them, they might be "early quitters". But just to be safe, wait a couple of days and then candle again. If you see a large red ring, with no veining, that means the embryo has died. Toss any you find with that. Make sure to wash your hands before you intend to handle the eggs at all, including candling. Bacteria can get through the shell and kill the embryo, resulting in the "blood ring" that I mentioned.
    If ever you are not sure about an egg, wait a couple days- unless the egg is omitting a foul smell (then toss of course).
    Good luck, and dont get discouraged if you ask a question and dont get an answer for a while. There are lots of helpful people on this board, but it is a holiday weekend. Someone will almost always get back to you within an hour or so.

6. harris farm

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    how often can i candle the eggs? the eggs are barred rock brown eggs

7. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    Quote:i usually candle my eggs around day 7 or 10 and then at day 14 and then again right before lockdown. that being said the first time i incubated eggs i candled a whole lot more often because it was neat and i wanted to show my kids the chick moving in the eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by