7wk old chicks won't roost!! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by callahanfarmgirl, Apr 4, 2011.

1. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I am a new chicken lover and had a very lucky hatch rate out of incubator - 37 out of 40. Now they are 7wks old and have been in the big coop for about 10 days and they will not roost.
    For the 1st 3 nights I would go out there and place them up there but of course 3 or 4 would end up on the ground. I have tried crumbles and treats to get them up there with no success.
    But during the day they walk up & down the roost all day? What can I do to get them off the ground at night?

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Give them more time. My 5 month old Red Stars still only intermittently roost.

3. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    OK I just worry about snakes.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This is simple. At night, at roosting time, just as it's getting too dim for them to see well, place the tykes up on the perch. They should stay there since they can't see well enough to want to hop off.

For the next few nights, simply repeat the process. It shouldn't take but a couple nights and they'll learn to hop up there on their own since they will have learned that's where they want to be at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by