7wk old cockerel scabs on lower back

ToniaM

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Noticed a few days ago some red dots on his back but being new to this I assumed he was going to grow in new feathers, Wrong! Today I noticed these scabs on his back. I did see the little Ancona that’s next to him in the pic, pecking on his scabs. He ...(not she because the load of hormones didn’t change him, joke from previous post!) He is 7.5 was old and the largest out there so would others still peck and pull his feathers out? Is it a virus? I haven’t noticed any others with this but I didn’t inspect them either. I spend more time with them than is allowed by law...ask all the dust in my house. My chicken addiction, that’s another story!! Just concerned and wondering what I should do. Any ideas?
91C2622C-B9CE-4D6D-B141-33F82E95AD43.png
98826D08-9B0A-4FEA-8E64-DDFCE6CAB3AA.png
0A89C134-3934-4F3F-9D1D-E5E76F6751B5.jpeg

They are still on chick grower feed. Yes there are others and they have ample space along with a 12x50 fully enclosed run until I feel safe with them free ranging where we have 8 acres. I haven’t checked for mites or lice so to speak. I hold most of them a few times a day. While sitting on me I’ve looked somewhat at the legs, that’s where I read you can visibly see the bugs easily, but there’s nothing there. I’ve watched them preen I believe it’s called while they are on me and I didn’t see any little critters.

Do yo have other males?
If the spot on his back is a scabbed wound, put some plain neosporin on it.

Best to find out if he has bugs before treating for them.
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Do yo have other males?
If the spot on his back is a scabbed wound, put some plain neosporin on it.

Best to find out if he has bugs before treating for them.
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
He’s the only male that I’m aware of at this point/age. Thanks so much for the info. I will try to check tonight. He’s not one I can just pick up he’s a little skittish but getting better.
I’m aware of the redness when wiped BC of dog ear mites. But I will for sure google and learn exactly what to look for. They have only been in coop and run for almost 2 weeks, crazy if they can get to them that fast!
thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom