7wk old cockerel scabs on lower back

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
He’s not one I can just pick up he’s a little skittish but getting better.
Handling regularly off the roost can help them understand 'they wont die if the human touches them' :gig

Looked closer at pic....it's odd, the fuzz and 'scab' are unusual, like his feathers aren't growing in properly. Hopefully it's just an awkward stage and his hatchmates or himself aren't eating the pin feathers are they come in.

ToniaM

Chirping
Aug 19, 2020
Handling regularly off the roost can help them understand 'they wont die if the human touches them' :gig

Looked closer at pic....it's odd, the fuzz and 'scab' are unusual, like his feathers aren't growing in properly. Hopefully it's just an awkward stage and his hatchmates or himself aren't eating the pin feathers are they come in.
So I checked again tonight, hubby was home so he even helped. Didn’t see anything Crawling or adhered near skin, etc.
The scabs are a little better and yes, fuzzy all around them. I didn’t see any type of pin feathers attempting to come in.
i read Lady McCamley’s post and looks at lots of pics and a video. Thank you so much for that!! Helped me feel a bit more secure that I am not overlooking a bloodsucker but there’s always a chance!?!

Hopefully he was just getting pecked somehow for some reason and it’s over with!! Will check him again tomorrow evening. Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to help me and him:hugs

Top Bottom