1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7Wk-old Dark Cornish with a goiter and a couple sneezy chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Noodlez, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Noodlez

Noodlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Orient, Ohio
    So, Chickity Chick-Chick (7-week-old Dark Cornish) has this goiter on her breast,

It's about the length of my thumb in the first picture, semi-solid--it has a little squish. I try not to press on it too hard but you can wrap your fingers around the edges. It seems to be between her skin and flesh because you can sort of move it, which I did in the first picture to expose it through the feathers."

She's such a nice girl--very, very friendly and calm.

She doesn't like when I make her turn her head for me, but otherwise It doesn't seem to really bother her. I haven't noticed any breathing issues or regurgitating. I just worry because she's still a small bird and it's so large and getting larger the bigger she gets.

I've been trying to research this, thinking thyroid/iodine-deficiency type of goiter, or some kind of abscess but I didn't notice any initial injury. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas before I tried to find a vet that knows anything about chickens around here.

I don't want to lose her without having tried.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Second item, I have four or five girls with persistent sneezes but they all sneeze--Treat everybody with Tylan?
    That appears to be their only symptom is that I hear them sneeze a couple times in an hour, then they shake their heads and shower me with snot when they're perching on me.

I've already run a week of antibiotics once before but it didn't seem to help--would preferably like to stay away from things with no withdrawl period. Thinking Tylan? Just nervous about giving them the wrong thing because I lost one of my first chicks right of the bat to an infection, and I sort of do blame myself for it.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The "goiter" is probably a full crop which is normal during the day with a chicken. the crop should be mostly empty first thing in the morning. The sneezing and nasal drainage may be a respiratory infection such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) ILT, or coryza. Is there a bad smell around their heads that could indicate coryza? Tylan 50 injections are good to treat each chicken individually, either given as a shot or directly by mouth. Make sure that you have a cool coop with good ventilation, no ammonia odor, and kept dry to prevent mold. Here is a good link about the common respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Noodlez

Aug 11, 2014
    Orient, Ohio
    Thank you! It's about an inch thick sticking out but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it ever has a flattened period or if it just keeps expanding.

And no, thankfully, they only are sneezy and have been for over a month--otherwise friendly, happy, and energetic. I gave them Oxytetracycline from my aid-kit for 10 days, because I thought that and was really hoping it wasn't MG. There was literally no effect so I just figured they didn't like their pine bedding and also, that northeastern Ohio weather. So, I guess I'll just try the Tylan.

Thank you for the link. : )

4. Noodlez

Aug 11, 2014
    Orient, Ohio
    Well, went out at the crack of dawn--still the size of a Mickey D's chicken nugget but on a small, but really dense chicken, it's gigantic.

Going to assume/hope it's pendulous or impacted crop--best case scenario--separate her, put her on water, and try to massage it I guess.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. Noodlez

Aug 11, 2014
    Orient, Ohio
    I'm headed up to the local feed store tomorrow, hopefully they'll have the Tylan. If it lasts 5 weeks, it should be about up anyway.

Thank you for the links. I have no earthly idea what she got herself into. :c

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by