7wk old scratching too much? Wound on head from scratching?

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
How common is it for chickens to have a wound from scratching their neck area? Not all 6. Maybe 2 of them, definitely 1. Its not angry, but very red. I tried to get a pic but failed. They are 7 weeks old and have been in the coop for less than a week. Hemp deep litter system, but not roosting at night. Run is mulch. I do notice ants in the run too. What can I do to help the gal with the scratching?? Thank you kindly for your knowledge.

Yikes 😳 where do I look? Like, under their wings? Would there be any other indications of lice or mites? 2 were dust bathing yesterday, and I havnt seen them do it since the brooder a week ago, so I feel they all could use a bath! If this rain stops I could get some nice dry dirt to make a dust bath.
thank you kindly 🐥❤️

Yikes 😳 where do I look? Like, under their wings? Would there be any other indications of lice or mites? 2 were dust bathing yesterday, and I havnt seen them do it since the brooder a week ago, so I feel they all could use a bath! If this rain stops I could get some nice dry dirt to make a dust bath.
thank you kindly 🐥❤️
lice would be present in the down and feathers, they’re small, but not tiny, so you should be able to see them pretty easily. check around the affected areas first

and mites... you will want to check them at night with a flash light since the mites hide in wood and other crevices during the day. Generally they like to hang around the vent area and under the wings. They are extremely tiny, so you would be looking for tiny moving dots on the skin of the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom