8 - 10 month old hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gonzo, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    We're averaging about 6 - 8 eggs a day, friday we got 12! We have several different breeds, Australorps, RIR, BO, WO, SL & cochins. We have 21 hens in all. When will I start to get over run with eggs? I heard others getting 100+ eggs per week. Will I get more when they're a little older? I wonder if not all are laying yet. Anymore its hard to tell who's laying what.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

This is molting season, and it's darker this time of year. Your production should go up soon with artificial light, or in the spring without. And after molting. Good luck

Imp

4. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I have 21 laying hens and get 13 eggs on a good day. Sometimes it's around 8 on a bad day. During the summer I got 14-17 a day normally. I know the season/light changes makes a difference in laying patterns. I did put a light with a timer in their coop and in the run. The light comes on at 4:00 a.m. and goes off at 8:00 a.m. I let them roost at night with the natural sunset. I'm thinking that, if I didn't have the artificial light go on in the morning then I'd be getting even less eggs than I am now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by