8-10 Tomaru Longcrower hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Wynette, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    These birds are so, so pretty! My husband, who is not a chickeny sorta guy, loves them, and they are the only ones he's ever commented on - he says the rooster is just striking, and the hens are also very pretty. He doens't even know what breed they are (that man just cracks me up).

Anyway...these are pet quality, and came from Sandhill Preservation. They were gifted to me by a very good friend - I'd often talked about wanting a few, and she had placed an order with Sandhill...a day after her chicks arrived, she called to tell me that guess what - she had gotten 3 Tomaru Longcrowers as packing peanuts (hmmmm....now isn't that curious?). She swears she did not order them, but had no need for them, so she gifted them to me. I got super lucky with a trio! (again....hm.......).

I have really enjoyed them, and an liking them more and more as time passes. They are intelligent & curious, but are a tiny bit flighty. Much better layers than I thought they would be, and their lay schedule is odd - I don't know if it's just mine, or if this is typical of Longcrowers, but mine will lay 5-6 eggs per week for 3-4 weeks, and then take a couple weeks off, then start again. Eggs are creamy tan, probably medium in size. I have had one go broody - she was easy to break, and hasn't gone broody again.

[bold]Auction terms: This is a PayPal only auction - please do not bid unless you are able to pay via PayPal. Payment is due by 5 p.m. Eastern time the date the auction ends. Eggs will be shipped out the next day, using USPS Priority Mail, with Delivery Confirmation.[/bold]

Here are more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Broody stinkeye:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!!

2. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Phage wrote:

I hatched some of Wynette's (very first pullet) longcrowers eggs for a friend. Development was 9/10 back then and 6/10 eggs hatched. !!!!

They were handled quite a lot as chicks and I did not find them flighty at all. The were actually some of the gentlest friendliest and calmest birds I think I have ever had!!! They have just gone to their owner and he was also impressed at how sweet they are. The hens also have cool black combs and wattles. I would want to win these if I had more room.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, Phage! I got mine when they were juveniles, I BELIEVE about 12-14 weeks, and though I did spend a good deal of time with them, maybe I started too late.....I'm glad to hear that the ones you hatched were so gentle & friendly! [​IMG]

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Wynette, you need a voice recording to go along with your ad [​IMG]

5. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Do they have the long crow? I have one pair and a trio of Denizli Longcrowers. The roos are not crowing yet.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Seminole - I've been trying to get a recording for awhile now....the problem is, each time that I do, some other rooster is crowing, too, and I've been trying to get a "clean" recording. However, it would definitely show the length of his crow, so I may go ahead & get one with a duet going on!

vetgirl - my rooster's crow is not as long as some you find on YouTube - holy cow, what I would give for one of THOSE! It's probably 7 seconds, from me counting in my head, so hmm....maybe more like 6? it's DEFINITELY longer than any of my other roosters (I have plenty of those right now!!) and definitely longr than any rooster I've ever had!

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    No, see, you have to go out there and train them! Do a long crow over and over and eventually they get it. It helps if you flap your arms a few times first.

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:HA! (you're hiding in the bushes with a camcorder, aren't you?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by