8-10 week old chicks. Gender and breed of back one????

spicychicken42

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 21, 2014
Hey I have a small flock of 2 ISA browns and 1 brown and 1 white silkie. About 10 weeks ago my sister's daughter's child care incubated eggs and hatched them. most parents didn't have chickens so my sister ( who has 1 silkie rooster and 1 hen) took 14 chicks. 12 ISA browns and 2 black chicks and there is a 2 week difference in age between the chickens with the black chicks hatching last. She gave us half of the chicks, 6 Isa Browns and 1 black chick when they were 4-6 weeks of age. We put them outside straight away.

Now that they are old enough (as Isa's are mostly white as roosters) we unfortunately have 4 roosters and definitely 2 hens.

Now the problem is not the roosters (our friends need roosters as well) but I have no Idea what breed and sex of the black chick is. It is getting emeraldy feathers throughout and I have no Idea.

I am hoping it is a hen as we only got 2 out of 6 ISA hens.

I will give pictures of our silkies, adult hens and flock of chicks as well as the black chick.

spicychicken42

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 21, 2014
And Please Help as we want to know which ones to keep (hopefully one rooster the black one and the 2 hens)
unless the black is roo?!?!

Rowsdower

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
And do you know her breed? Is she just a Black sex link or something different?

That is why I asked about the bottom of her feet. A lot of black breeds have very subtle differences. She does not look like a sex link to me. I'd say black Australorp if I had to guess. If she is an Australorp, the bottoms of her feet will be pink or flesh-toned.

BantamLover21

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Hey I have a small flock of 2 ISA browns and 1 brown and 1 white silkie. About 10 weeks ago my sister's daughter's child care incubated eggs and hatched them. most parents didn't have chickens so my sister ( who has 1 silkie rooster and 1 hen) took 14 chicks. 12 ISA browns and 2 black chicks and there is a 2 week difference in age between the chickens with the black chicks hatching last. She gave us half of the chicks, 6 Isa Browns and 1 black chick when they were 4-6 weeks of age. We put them outside straight away.

Now that they are old enough (as Isa's are mostly white as roosters) we unfortunately have 4 roosters and definitely 2 hens.

Now the problem is not the roosters (our friends need roosters as well) but I have no Idea what breed and sex of the black chick is. It is getting emeraldy feathers throughout and I have no Idea.

I am hoping it is a hen as we only got 2 out of 6 ISA hens.

I will give pictures of our silkies, adult hens and flock of chicks as well as the black chick.

The black chick is definitely a pullet. As for breed, it is probably a Black Australorp.

Top Bottom