lizamae89

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
We have four coups on a very small plot. One of these coops has had periodic losses of young hens. These pullets have been laying for at least three months. Most of these girls that have died have had tumors somewhere; one had a small tumor on her heart and black intestines. I know that Marek's causes tumors, but I also know that it is very contagious. My problem is that we have not lost birds in our other coops, and Marek's spreads in a matter of days (sometimes a matter of hours as I understand it). These coops are very close to each other.
The coop that has had deaths and tumors was dirty and had a leak that we didn't know about. We hadn't cleaned it out for a while because it has been so cold. It also has a leak. I am wondering if this coop has a bacterial infection. I have in my head that bacterial infections can cause tumors. Is this a possibility? We also have chicks in the house. My understanding is that Marek's attacks chicks more than adults. If we had Marek's I would think we would be losing chicks left and right, and they are just fine. I would be very thankful for input on this.

We have four coups on a very small plot. One of these coops has had periodic losses of young hens. These pullets have been laying for at least three months. Most of these girls that have died have had tumors somewhere; one had a small tumor on her heart and black intestines. I know that Marek's causes tumors, but I also know that it is very contagious. My problem is that we have not lost birds in our other coops, and Marek's spreads in a matter of days (sometimes a matter of hours as I understand it). These coops are very close to each other.
The coop that has had deaths and tumors was dirty and had a leak that we didn't know about. We hadn't cleaned it out for a while because it has been so cold. It also has a leak. I am wondering if this coop has a bacterial infection. I have in my head that bacterial infections can cause tumors. Is this a possibility? We also have chicks in the house. My understanding is that Marek's attacks chicks more than adults. If we had Marek's I would think we would be losing chicks left and right, and they are just fine. I would be very thankful for input on this.
If you think it’s the coop it may be. Just in case I would take the chickens out and clean the entire coop.

It is probably time to get a necropsy on the next one you lose, and they can test for Mareks or avian lymphoid leukosis, another virus that causes tumors, but not the paralysis that Mareks causes. Both diseases cause decresed immunity to disease.

With wet or moldy conditions, there may be an increase in fungal infections, which are dangerous in chickens. Aspergillosis is a fungal disease that causes fungal deposits all over the body, spread from breathing throughout the air sacs.

Back
Top Bottom