1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8-9 wk old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by collegegardener, Nov 9, 2014.

1. collegegardener

collegegardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Russellville, Arkansas
    Early this week I noticed one of the chicks I have wasn't doing too well. Very inactive, elevated breathing, runny, light brown poo, and was drinking, but not eating. It's about 8-9 wks old. Banty cochin. I separated it from the others and put poly vi sol in its water(only thing I had at the time). It is now Sunday and the chick is back to eating but is extremely inactive. Any ideas on what this may be? What can I do?

2. WildWyandott110

WildWyandott110 Chillin' With My Peeps

take it to a vet.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The first thing I always do when I have a chick in this age range that starts acting slow and not eating/drinking is to treat for coccidiosis with a course of Corid. It is probably the most common problem in chicks this age and you always need to rule it out. I would still do so with this chick in case it's trying to fight off a case of it.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by