8-9month old hen waddling, dark green poop

Cry86

Songster
Apr 26, 2021
So I'm trying to figure out if it's waterbelly or egg bound.

She's eating
Drinking alot
Comb bright red
Will stand if I support belly in hand
Walks very little when she does she waddles and uses wings for balance butt to floor.
Hasn't laid an egg in 24hrs at least. Not sure if she did before I found her having trouble.
Vent continously opening and closing.
Belly feels like other hens bellies but I could be wrong?

Can supply photos in a bit didnt want to disturb her she eating atm.and watching Percy jackson.

She's been soaked for 10mins blow dried, then soaked again for 20mins blow dried since yesterday. (Because it seemed like egg bound problem is I don't feel an egg but what if it's a soft shell? )
No weight loss
Vents remained clean
Darker green poop has had vegetables 2 -3 days prior also pumpkin.
She is a barred rock silkie mix named Puddin.

Thank you for any help
I know if it's egg bound I gotta move swiftly
I know if it's water belly I gotta drain.

Picture of her poop would help. Water belly has a certain feel to it, and not all hens lay eggs every day.

Sometimes extra greens in diet can cause extra dark green poop.

Picture of her poop would help. Water belly has a certain feel to it, and not all hens lay eggs every day.

Sometimes extra greens in diet can cause extra dark green poop.

Attachments

• 20221107_123642.jpg
    20221107_123642.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221107_123713.jpg
    20221107_123713.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221107_123742.jpg
    20221107_123742.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 5
Drinking alot
Comb bright red
Will stand if I support belly in hand
Walks very little when she does she waddles and uses wings for balance butt to floor.
Hasn't laid an egg in 24hrs at least.
She's drinking a lot -what's her crop like?

Since she's not laid an egg, I would get some extra calcium into her. 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet once daily. This will help if she's having a hard time expelling an egg. Just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.

Soaking is o.k. as long as she's not lethargic or in distress.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She's drinking a lot -what's her crop like?

Since she's not laid an egg, I would get some extra calcium into her. 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet once daily. This will help if she's having a hard time expelling an egg. Just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.

Soaking is o.k. as long as she's not lethargic or in distress.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you its not egg bound
It's definitely waterbelly and now I'm trying to watch as many videos to find out where to stick the needle.
I got a syringe gloves an 18g needle a jar also I was wondering because most videos say not to drain it all and she will leak awhile after can I use new skin once the liquid slows comming out to prevent infection? and she's still thriving just cant walk she waddles like a penguin.
i get to add this one to my list as this is my first ever doing waterbelly. The symptoms threw me off because she's not rejecting food or water and her combs vibrant. But her belly is sooo squishy and getting bigger

Update I wanted to wait before I posted an update just so we knew how and what we was battling. And then ofc Thanksgiving came so I got busy.

I was able to get a needle in her sucessfully and nothing came out. So I just went with next instinct if it's not egg bound and it's not waterbelly. I leaned toward 2 things vitamin deficiency or EYP..

So I continued the antibiotics for the full 10 days.
I made her a vitamin drink daily with B12, calicum and vitamin D boosts.

By day 8 after doing this she was almost completely normal.
We gave her till day 11 then she went back out to the coop. She is healthy and happy.

Thank you to everyone who helped and hopefully this will help someone else in need. =)

Back
Top Bottom