8 Born 12/24 Lav Orps +1 Splash/SilverL Orp, ...& 4 month old Sapphires

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WilloughbyStead, Jan 12, 2017.

1. WilloughbyStead

WilloughbyStead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2016
    USA-FL
    Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some more experienced judges.. I have 8 Lav Orps in question. These guys were born 12/23-12/24. So about 3 weeks. Just checking to make sure my guesses aren't too far off.

#1.. I'm going to wager a wild guess this is a cockerel, right? I mean that comb and those wattles are pretty crazy for 3 weeks.

[​IMG]

#2 Pullet? Slight comb but no wattles, and not as pink or pronounced as the above chick. I have several of these where I'm on the fence.

[​IMG]

#3 Pullet?

[​IMG]

#4 Pullet?

[​IMG]

#5 Pullet?

[​IMG]

#6 Cockerel?

[​IMG]

I'm leaving out one or two I think, but did the best I could to try to get pictures of them all. Chicken's are quite a challenge to photograph when they are happy and active. Some were not very cooperative. ;) Some look like #2 a little more comb than others but not as pronounced as #1. Some have hardly any comb at all..

And Here's A Lucky Group Photo Of The Ones I am Suspicious of.. Although some of them don't have legs as thick as the flaming proud cockerel does (#1) Just combs that are larger than the obvious pullets but still not exactly as large as #1 (but closer to #1 than pullets) Only one has a comb which is pinker than the others, and wattles that are more pronounced and that is #1. Anyone have orpington experience?

[​IMG][​IMG]

And here's a Lav and Silver Laced? by side.. I think they are both pullets. The black and white was sold in the stock of orpington eggs. But it does have yellow legs. I'm thinking splash or silver laced?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And I have a few of these which we're sold to me as "Sapphires Pullets"... They are about 4 months old. But 1 or 2 look a little suspicious to me. Can anyone tell me the best way to determine if these are really girls? If there's interest in judging these guys, I'd love more help & when they coop up for the day I can attempt easier and more individual photographs... One in the group pic is super fluffy...

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    I am not an expert on orpingtons, but I don't think your black and white one is silver laced. I she was, I believe that she would have a different pattern on her wings. I agree with your guesses as to the gender of your lavenders.

1 person likes this.
  3. WilloughbyStead

Nov 30, 2016
    USA-FL
    [​IMG] Yea I wasn't very sure about the black & white one. I know its an orp, and I was considering it splash till someone told me its SL because one requirement of SL vs Splash is yellow legs; Which she has. But she still has a lot of feathering to do, so we will see I suppose. She's one of the most interesting in my flock to look at.

Thankyou for your reply :)

4. UberchicRanch

UberchicRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2015
    New England
    Looks like you have something Lavender... Lavender Oprington? One with larger comb / wattles is a cockerel.

5. WilloughbyStead

Nov 30, 2016
    USA-FL
    They are all Lavender Orpingtons, except the sapphires and the 1 splash orpington. I'm just trying to guess their genders at this time. I read somewhere that orps are slow developers, so I think it's safe to assume anything with much comb this early is probably a cockerel- right?

I contacted the lady I bought my sapphires from she reassured me they are all female from the pictures I sent her. So I'm okay for now with them. Just hoping to see some eggs soon from them...

My Lav Orps are still confusing me. But I think I probably have at least 2 cockerels. Has anyone had females show half the comb I am seeing this early?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    On the Orps, you can tell some are cockerels already by the combs. But the reverse isn't necessarily true, if at this age they have minimal combs they're pullets. They're just too young to say pullet with confidence. Orpingtons are slower to mature, so you'll just have to wait until the 6-8 week mark to be sure who is female.

All your sapphires look female. the Leghorn blood in them usually makes males VERY apparent at a young age. Your birds are 4 months, they'll start developing combs and redness here over the next month or so as they reach sexual maturity.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sounds good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by