8 broody hens NOW?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by colby318, Sep 14, 2009.

1. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    All summer I've begged my dottes to sit on their eggs. They were out partying like rock stars instead. Now that it's fall, they won't get off the nest! I guess the shortening of the days makes them think it's spring... Anyone else going through this?

Colby in KY

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Yes. I have a Dark Cornish in a large milk can (the old metal kind) with banty and Cornish eggs under her. I found her by accident 3 days ago! I am missing a barred rock cross hen and I heard her clucking around the goat barn the other day!! And then I walked in my husbands shed and found this a couple of days ago..........................

[​IMG]

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    I just successfully traumatized my Dark Cornish off the nest (she had been there for 2 months!). I put her in our dog crate for two days-hoping to just leave her there without a nest, but the dog knocked her crate down and really gave her a run! She didn't get out but when we put her back in the run/coop with the others, she didn't go back to the nest-YAY!!!! Good luck with that!

4. Madison Farms

Madison Farms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Escalon, Ca.
    We definitely have the same problem. We have 5 broody hens right now and 1 that had disappeared and came back with 5 babies. They are so cute. I'm not quite sure why they decided now was the time, but I'm a little worried about it getting colder.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nope. Mine won't go broody, so I bought a bator. Now they will probably decide to go broody.

6. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    Yes, I have 7 hens.
    I already have two moms with 6 chicks each, one other hen went to molt that left me 4 hens for eggs and then with in 24 hours all 4 decided to brood. No eggs any were.
    Thinking of squeezing the rooster for my breakfast egg.

7. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Quote:Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Both SUPER funny, I love it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  8. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    My girl friend tells me I should buy 2 family sized cans of chicken noodle soup and put them in the hen house.

Kind of a ...see were you go if no eggs today.

9. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Hahaha, along the same lines, when I get my chicken house built I'm putting in a giant shadow box on the wall all the way at the ceiling (sealed VERY well) and putting my two big Foster Farms chickens in it so they know I'm serious. They look like the ones you see on the commercial with dingy feathers and being fat and everything. I won each at separate raffle auctions and have the really fat one and the slightly less fat one, I love them! My chickens will look at that and say, "Ooh we don't want to end up like that...let's get down to this egg laying business right away!" No? You don't think they will? Well it's worth a shot anyhow.

10. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Quote:I had just bought a used GQF bator off ebay! Maybe they saw the UPS truck. LOL!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by