8 chickens and a crazy lady!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ZooMummzy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I've never wanted a drink so early in the day before but after chasing 8 chickens around my yard, I do! Somehow they all got out of the run while I was filling their feeders. The next thing I know they are rolling in the grass and flapping around. We have a fence but these buggers can fly! I'm not supposed to have chickens without a permit so this was like my worst nightmare! I can just see myself chasing chickens down the street while my neighbors watch. As it was, they were squawking up a storm [​IMG]

Thankfully, they all went back in the coop after I started flapping around the yard like a crazy woman trying to shoo them in one direction. I'm not sure who was more scared in the end, lol. They all ran in the coop and hid under their nest boxes [​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh, my! That must have been a sight.

One suggestion i have is to create a noise (a whistle or bell or something) to train your kids to come. My husband did this with our chickens by tapping on a plastic container whenever we had super yummy treats, like mealworms. So now if i'm having trouble getting them back into the coop, i just tap on anything plastic and they come running.

And what the heck, go ahead and have that drink. It must be happy hour somewhere in the world!

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Our best investment ever was a big fishing net. [​IMG]

4. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    You are right, it is somewhere! If it wasn't for everything I have to do today still, I would! My son graduates from 5th Grade in less than 2 hours and then tonight I have to meet my husband for our 20th wedding anniversary dinner. I was saving the drinking till then [​IMG]

Thanks for the tip about making noise. I'm obviously new to chickens, lol. They do come when I cluck at them but of course, I was too freaked out to even think of that. All I could think of was getting them back in the run quickly!

5. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Another great idea....I think we have a large pool net in the garage....

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Quote:Yeah it's 5:00 somewhere. [​IMG]

7. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Happy anniversary and 5th grade graduation to your son! :)

8. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Thanks! Big day all around. I feel bad taking away from his day, but hey, without us he wouldn't be having this big day at all [​IMG]

9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:Thanks! Big day all around. I feel bad taking away from his day, but hey, without us he wouldn't be having this big day at all [​IMG]

HIS big day?? You weren't there too? [​IMG] 20 years is some kind of record now days. You should be proud that you're a statistic now. A GOOD ONE!
    Congatulations to BOTH of you![​IMG]

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Training them to a sound is a GREAT help!!! I have a loud squeaky toy that looks like a miniture rubber chicken. Chook doesn't always COME to it, but 99% of the time she will call back to it and I can at least locate her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by