8 day old guineas! Bedding question..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NancyP1, Aug 4, 2011.

1. NancyP1

NancyP1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hi all. I have some 8 day old guinea chicks that have to be moved to the barn today. 18 guinea chicks in the living room is getting too noisey! I think they will stay warm in the barn, I just built a new brooder box. I will put the heat lamp in there with them. My question is what can I use for bedding? The bottom of the box is plywood...Also, can I throw some hay in there with them? Maybe some fresh picked grass or vegetable peels?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would just use pine shavings. I wouldn't use veggie peals.....Whouldn't that get gross? I think, as long as the hay stays dry, that would work, because wet hay molds easily. Grass clippings would be a very green thing to use as well.

I just like the pine shavings because they're easy to clean. Fluff them up and you can use them for a while....

3. NancyP1

NancyP1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I think I will opt for the shavings for bedding. I have been using newspaper. Easy to clean up. They now tear it up, and when one gets a piece, the others chase it around! So fun to watch. I was thinking the veggie peels for something to peck at and eat? same with the grass clippings...will this hurt them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by