1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 day old Peeps are so skittish..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScenicViews, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ScenicViews

ScenicViews Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    My 7 little chicks, Welsummer, Barnevelder, Light Brahma, Silver Laced Wyandotte (2), Buff Orpington, and EE are acting very strange. They are eating and drinking great. But when I come into the room to check on them. They line up with their little heads facing the wall away from me. I usually cluck at them when I am coming in the room, so they get used to the sound. But, it seems they are terrified of me! I try to hold each one for a bit, a couple of times a day. They are usually pretty shaky when I pick them up, and then they calm down when I pet them and talk to them. I have seen pictures of Chicken Mom's letting the chicks eat out of their hands! Mine will not come anywhere near my hand even if I leave it on the floor of the brooder for 5-10 minutes. Help! I would like for them to be able to recognize me as a friend not a foe. Any suggestions?

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
  3. ScenicViews

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    Thank you, I'll try the listed ideas...

They are in a baby pool on the floor in my basement, some how I think it is the light and shadows that bothers them...

Hopefully they will turn around and see me and hear me coming and be HAPPY!

Thanks again for the response!!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    All baby chicks are deathly afraid of being approached from above. If you are reaching down for them, picture a hawk diving at them from the sky, and you'll understand this instinctive fear they have.

The secret to tame and trusting baby chicks is to approach them from the side, not from above. This is why I strongly recommend side access brooders instead of top access. A brooder box placed on a table that has a side access will assure tame chicks that trust you to handle them from the very first day.

5. Clucksandgiggle

Clucksandgiggle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I haven't heard this before but it makes total sense. I will keep this in mind when I make my brooder.

Thanks!

6. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    You've been given some very good advice. Keep in mind, however, that some chicks just have a flighty, timid personality. My welsummer chick would do everything possible to evade being held. She was extremely skittish, and when I did hold her she seemed to think I was trying to kill her. I remember someone saying, "you've got to be patient with welsummers and it will eventually pay off." She finally became docile and very approachable right before she started laying, around 30 weeks of age. Some chicks will be docile and easily handled from the beginning, and some may not warm up to you until they begin laying, . . . and others are a pistol as chicks and adults (like my RIR). [​IMG]

7. ScenicViews

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    Thank you all for the great info.. Yes, I am reaching on from above.. Quietly and slowly. But that must be the problem, I'll try something different this weekend! So appreciattive to have seasoned chicken owners to pull info from! Happy days ahead!

8. Clucksandgiggle

Clucksandgiggle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2014
    Wisconsin

9. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Do you have another box ready for them because a baby pool won't hold them much longer unless you have some kind of cover on it.

10. ScenicViews

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    36 inch chicken wire around it.. Have a cover ready!! Already jumping and testing wings! They grow so dang fast! Thank you for asking!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by