8 day old silkie question...many pics added for help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilchicklover, Jul 5, 2011.

1. lilchicklover

lilchicklover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I got my 7 chicks from MPC last Monday they are doing great but I have a question about something they mentioned on their website. I got 2 silkies ( one blue and one black) when i ordered and was looking at there website when i saw in little letters at the bottom something like you will receive bearded and non bearded Silkies you cant chose which one you want........ blah blah blah they probably said it better but i cant remember exactly. I was wondering if you can tell if there bearded or non bearded when they are a week old, if you can how do you do that, if you cant what age will you be able to tell? i am a first time chicken momma so im full of questions... thanks

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Have you got any pics. I usually notice the bearded ones as they look like they are wearing ear muffs

3. lilchicklover

Apr 16, 2011
    my 2 silkies the gray one is Eglantine and the black one is Cindy Lou both should be little girls, 8 days old
    eglantine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cindy Lou
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hope this helps thanks

4. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    look in the top bar where it says index go accross till you get to uploads and click on tht then click browse and go from there :eek:) Hope this helps :eek:) Looks like you figured it out while i was writing this :eek:) Such cute babies!!!! Hope someone can tell for you i am not good at such things :eek:)

5. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    They look like bearded chicks to me! This is Yeta as a baby
    [​IMG]
    and now
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of her with her chick. The one at the bottom like right under her is the silkie that came out of our hatch, the rest are mutts. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just thought I'd post those chick pics for reference.

Your wee ones are very cute!

6. lilchicklover

Apr 16, 2011
    thank you. [​IMG] i hope they are bearded [​IMG]

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i think eglantine is bearded and the black one is not [​IMG] pretty babies, i get my MPC silkies tomorrow!

8. lilchicklover

Apr 16, 2011
    Thank you for the replies... anyone else have any guesses???? I will post pics when i know for sure

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would say your white one for sure will be bearded. It's harder to tell with the black chick. I received four silkies from MPC (meyers really - as mpc is kind of a middle man) at the end of February. The one that had really fat "chipmunk cheeks" is the one that ended up being bearded. My second favorite ended up being male (although I'd paid for sexed pullets). As they say, it's an art, not a science, and I think it's even harder to tell with bantams.

10. lilchicklover

Apr 16, 2011
    i hope mine are both pullets even though i would still love either one if they were a male ( after i renamed him).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by