8 dead 2 month old chicks stuffed in corner of coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HighSpringsChix, Jun 9, 2011.

1. HighSpringsChix

HighSpringsChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Hi, today I found 8 dead chicks stuffed in the corner of the coop behind a nesting box. There were 7 chicks left alive, and 1 wounded. The wounded one has a bite or tooth mark under her wing and on her back, a spread of about 4 inches. Only 1 of the chicks was partially eaten, the others were stashed for later, I suppose. What is the most likely culprit? There weren't any big holes in the wire, or holes dug under the coop. I live right up against a State Park, so we have everything here.

Now that I think about it, I had another big hen dead in another coop. She had no parts missing, so I assumed it was natural causes. What would creep into the coop and kill, but not eat or carry off?

I locked my nearly worthless dogs down with the chickens tonight. They have been sleeping on the porch instead of doing their jobs. Hopefully, they will keep whatever it is away. I have goats, and *good* LGD's with them, but if it's a fox, I am worried for the kids.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    With the bite marks under the wing and neck, I'd guess weasel. They will bite and then lap up the blood, leaving little evidence. I had one wipe out a dozen 6-week olds once. They all had a bite mark under the wing or on the neck. Could be what got your big hen, too. They're pretty small so they don't really need much of a hole to get in the pen.

3. sallihennipenni

sallihennipenni Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I agree, it was probably a weasel....or maybe a mink? Either can enter through a hole as small as an inch. I'm so sorry about your loss. [​IMG] My chicks are right at that same age.

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    A badger did this same kind of thing to our chickens...they are part of the weasel family. In your part of the country, I'd guess it was a weasel, too.

5. HighSpringsChix

HighSpringsChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    A weasel, well that's good and bad. Hard to weasel proof a coop, but I don't have to worry so much for the goats. Guess I'll look up how to trap one. Hopefully the presence of a dog will be enough to deter it, even if I have to lock his worthless hide in the coop with the chickens. (At least he doesn't kill chickens anymore.)

Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by