8 dozen hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by keckels, Dec 17, 2011.

1. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Sooooo I drive an hour to see what's at the Chris small auction and I come away with 8 dozen coturnix eggs at .40/dozen. Wanted some white coturnix they had, but didn't need them after the eggs when they were $4.25 a piece. Guess I should have taken some to sell,

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    WOW great find, what kind of eggs did you end up with?

PS I have whites and will ship you some eggs or maybe we can meet up in the spring

3. keckels

May 30, 2011
    I'll let you know in 17 days or so.

4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    lol a surprise package, gotta love it

5. keckels

May 30, 2011
    I'm guessing there will be mixture of normal wild & white.

It was at a sale barn, I was going basically to check it out. I should have taken half of my tibetans and a few of my mallards.

What shocked me was that the cots went for $4.25. The a&m's (or they looked like a&m's anyway) looked ok, but the normal pattern were either small or young, I got there just at start, so I didn't get to look them over too closely.

Mallards went for $11, & 2 month old pullets went for $6+. Ducks & geese went cheap. Pretty small really, I'm sure because of time of year. Kind of got me more in the mood to buy more eggs here or online, so I know what I'm getting. Don't want to sound rude, but I really wasn't to impressed with the stock.

6. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I agree, I am getting eggs from reputable people so I can get a good stock built up

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    For that price (and at this time of year) I'd guess you got a bunch of infertile eggs.

8. keckels

May 30, 2011
    Time of year? The eggs I set develop. I understand about the price. Well, the LG I borrowed was sitting there doing nothing so it will be an adventure to see what happens.

9. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I got eggs from Bfrancis last month and he does not use light on his birds and I got more than 70% hatch rate, they do breed year round just not as much as breeding season

10. keckels

May 30, 2011
    I knew it was a big "if" when I bought them, but, hey, I couldn't come away empty handed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by