8 eggs 7 birds???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggie and Me, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Ok, so I'm thrilled but confused. [​IMG] We have 7 26wk old pullets. 4 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. This is the 3rd time we've
    received 8 eggs. We've also had 4 double Yokers since they started laying (on Labor Day)... Is this usual? I know it is common for there to be inconsistent laying the first year, but 8 eggs and 7 birds??? And this happening more than once. At first I thought I just didn't know how to count... [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They only lay one egg a day. I've gotten more eggs than birds before. I think that the "extras" were ones left over from the previous day that we laid after I had checked the boxes for the evening.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Sometimes a hen can lay more egg than one time a day. That happened to me. One of my RIRs was in the nesbox twice and I went out 10 minutes after both times a I got 1 egg each time.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Sometimes a hen can skip a day and lay two the next. M to the Max had that happen before too.

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by